SPS System — Help with Space Between Frags

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been picking up SPS frags for my display, which is to be SPS-only. The issue that I am having is that I want more corals than what should/can comfortably fit on my structure. Below, you can see the current state of my display:

0333A749-61ED-40D7-B1ED-5A0D6D999A2C.jpeg

The photo above was taken moments prior to posting it.

My Bonsai structure consists of eight shelves. The shelves range from ~4 inches to ~6 inches in diameter, and they include between five and ten holes for frag plugs.

The structure gets plenty of flow, which is provided by my COR-15 return pump and three VorTech MP40s (one more will be added next month). Also, it sits under a PAR range of 125-450, which is provided by three Radion XR15s (one more will be added next month). The diffusers reduce the PAR by ~20%, and they greatly help the reduction of color separation.

To get a better idea of the front-to-back space that I have for corals to grow, I have provided the photos below:

5D0E8C4D-EC01-436A-9956-E615C1F3888D.jpeg

AE4C52B8-64BA-4926-8589-5A8EE0B59953.jpeg
9176F05F-80C5-4894-A30D-F23A64151BB7.jpeg
43D237B9-391F-43B4-AEF9-F0A058FFDE26.jpeg
D6037912-9A56-4595-ABD9-9037683B80AF.jpeg

I intend to have all branching types of SPS; I will use the encrusting and plating types, which I will place on frag racks, for propagation to pay for future equipment purchases.

I am attempting to place my corals appropriately so that they do not grow into each other frequently enough to cause issues. However, I don’t want my display to look empty for the next handful of years while all of my small frags grow into colonies.

I have been debating whether to leave a single frag on each shelf (eight) or add multiple frags to each shelf. I’m trying to pay attention to growth patterns and shading, so I plan on adding more lights to combat that when I see the need arise. I have patience, so I don’t mind letting small corals grow into large colonies, but I want them to have the ability to do it comfortably and not require an annoying amount of maintenance. I’d prefer to not have my display look like a packed frag tank without regard for future growth.

With that information in mind, do you have any recommendations, thoughts, or experiences to share about placing my frags?

Thank you so much!

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, I left about four inches on average between frags and after 1.5 years in they are touching in some places. However, the placement I started with does not resemble what I ended up with. The real answer is: No matter how you plan, things will not grow exactly the way you think they will and you'll have to make changes.

That particular aquascape you've chose will look sparse no matter how you do it until you get some growth, unfortunately. Don't forget you can utilize the support arms between platforms as well. I say fill 'er up with a basic plan developed around light intensity and expected growth patterns (i.e., plating vs branching), and then as the frags develop into colonies you can cull out and sell those that aren't doing what you thought and move others that will work/do better somewhere else. Some you thought would be your centerpieces will never get there. Others you thought were a second-class addition will turn out to be incredible head turners. You will not be happy with only having eight frags, trust me! :D

And BTW - holy smokes on the flow you are going to get!!! Four MP 40's should keep those polyps dancing for sure. :) Good luck - keep updating as you go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, I left about four inches on average between frags and after 1.5 years in they are touching in some places. However, the placement I started with does not resemble what I ended up with. The real answer is: No matter how you plan, things will not grow exactly the way you think they will and you'll have to make changes.

That particular aquascape you've chose will look sparse no matter how you do it until you get some growth, unfortunately. Don't forget you can utilize the support arms between platforms as well. I say fill 'er up with a basic plan developed around light intensity and expected growth patterns (i.e., plating vs branching), and then as the frags develop into colonies you can cull out and sell those that aren't doing what you thought and move others that will work/do better somewhere else. Some you thought would be your centerpieces will never get there. Others you thought were a second-class addition will turn out to be incredible head turners. You will not be happy with only having eight frags, trust me! :D

And BTW - holy smokes on the flow you are going to get!!! Four MP 40's should keep those polyps dancing for sure. :) Good luck - keep updating as you go.
Thanks so much for your insights!

What you stated makes sense, and I agree that things may not grow in the way that I think they will; I should stop trying to control nature this far since I’m already keeping it in a box of water in my apartment.

The benefit of this Bonsai structure is that I can remove, replace, and swap the shelves since they fit into holes on the branches. I’ll order some extra shelves so that I can replace corals that may not do well in my system.

Regarding the MP40s, I like to have more pumps that are set on lower intensities so that I can do my best to provide many different flow patterns throughout the day to help with minimizing unnatural growth patterns.

Below is a video of my Vivid’s Green Flash Acropora millepora that I just recorded. All three MP40s set to a maximum of 50% while using anti-sync and Lagoon mode. By the way, sorry about the algae; I forgot to change my GFO last week. :rolleyes:

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't put montipora or pocilliopora next to acros, generally acropora tolerate one another to some degree and grow slower.

Poci can send out some crazy long polyps and have quite a potent sting and montipora especially encrusting ones grow so fast other coral just can't contend with them.

Its hard to say how far to place them as they all grow at different rates.

Monti caps down the bottom cause they will shade anything under them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are already worried about space, then adopt the no MBP&S rule - many people do not allow any of these since they can really grow like weeds. Most end up severely limiting them.

If you are thinking super long term, then on coral per platform. If you are good at this, they can be the size of small cantaloupe in 24 months if they are well lit, have good parameters and you don't cut them up all of the time.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar scape and packed my acros pretty close. My favorite part of the west mariculture rocks is the fact that I will be able to remove/weed out/trade corals that don’t end up growing to my taste and swap them out with ones that will. I fully expect to have to remove and sell Acro Colonies as things continue to grow!

0F499622-6B66-4D54-9930-6E1422381BA0.jpeg

Back