Sps tanks and M. MUD and Zeovit

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering adding a refugium to my exsisting 180g mostly sps. I have great color and growth and would be adding it for the other benefits like, nitrates and phosphate removal, live food source for corals and fish.
If any of you gals and guys out there using any MM or Zeovit, PLEASE chime in!

My questions are as follows:

1. Both systems seem to be basically the same. Has anyone changed from one to the other? If so why and did you like the change?

2. Did anyone experience a crash/ wipeout when they added the refugium?

3. Can either of these products be added to a sump that was not a purchased sump from the makers of the MM or ZV? If I can how much product do I use?

4. Does anyone run a powerhead for circulation inside the sump?

5. What kind of lights are you all running? Are you running it 24/7

6. Anyone having alk problems?

7. Anyone running a ca/reactor with the refugium and still having alk issues?

8. Is anyone still using additives like cyclopeeze, brightwells zoo-plankton, etc.?

Currently I am running Berlin style with ca/reactor and a phosphate reactor. I use carbon about three weeks after a WC, for 1 week (4th wk), then I do my 35g WC.

Churchboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used miracle mud on one tank & I did notice improved health & polyp extension on corals, but tried it on another & really didn't make much of a difference. I feel if you have a deep sand bed it works the same, but if not try it out. As to zeo, sorry no experience.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from exp and reading numerous articles that miracle mud works for a short period of time and if not swapped out, it has a reverse effect.... Zeofit.... Never tried it because of the price... Myself I use the vodka and mb7 diet, seems to be the big thing rite now and it's cheap to run...;)

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that seems to be the fad right now.
I am just afraid of doing something that will cause a crash.
I know from exp and reading numerous articles that miracle mud works for a short period of time and if not swapped out, it has a reverse effect.... Zeofit.... Never tried it because of the price... Myself I use the vodka and mb7 diet, seems to be the big thing rite now and it's cheap to run...;)

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
miracle mud is waaaaaay over-priced IMO. i used it for awhile, then took it all out and run my fuge BB. i didnt notice any difference before or after. just using the vodka method now.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
things have never looked better. i just ordered some of warner marines EcoBak pellets to try in place of the vodka.

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more inclined to try a dosing type of system. I am not comfortable dosing vodka. I am still looking into a product called Figi Gold Mud. Have you or anyone else heard of it?
things have never looked better. i just ordered some of warner marines EcoBak pellets to try in place of the vodka.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i does a basic 2 part but i use the zeo vit food the polhs extra and he coral vitalizer and I am seeing a difference just in a couple weeks. Corals are getting better color and polyps staying out longer

seth&angelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank maintenance business, and I have several tanks running on the Miracle Mud system. It is not expensive if you consider the cost of a good skimmer. You will save 200 buck with a fuge only system. The trick with miracle mud is surface area and flow. You don't need a deep mud bed like a traditional fuge. On there site they have a chart of surface area and flow per size tank. I normally build my own sumps and use their design. I like it a lot, also they have great customer service. Leng, the owner/creator will talk to anyone it you call, and explain his method. He is a dinosaur in this hobby, and knows his stuff.

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you pm me the web address?
Are you currently using any algae cheato?
I have a tank maintenance business, and I have several tanks running on the Miracle Mud system. It is not expensive if you consider the cost of a good skimmer. You will save 200 buck with a fuge only system. The trick with miracle mud is surface area and flow. You don't need a deep mud bed like a traditional fuge. On there site they have a chart of surface area and flow per size tank. I normally build my own sumps and use their design. I like it a lot, also they have great customer service. Leng, the owner/creator will talk to anyone it you call, and explain his method. He is a dinosaur in this hobby, and knows his stuff.

cmjreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try the new NP bio-pellets? They do claim to remove phos and nitrate, and by doing so they create a bacterioplankton slime/sludge which provides a unique food source for corals. Ive been hearing a lot of good feedback on this "solid vodka" dosing method.

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I will look into the pellets. I asked the TOTM on RC because I believe he uses them.
Why not try the new NP bio-pellets? They do claim to remove phos and nitrate, and by doing so they create a bacterioplankton slime/sludge which provides a unique food source for corals. Ive been hearing a lot of good feedback on this "solid vodka" dosing method.

Shadowramy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and like Zeovit but I know it can get confusing and costly. A good alternative would be to use a combination of Zeovit Start2 and Prodibio BP and TM. The NP Pellets are really looking promising right now, I would watch them as more and more vendors are bringing them out. I sure very soon BRS will start carring a version.

Weetabix7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Fiji Mud in a DIY Refugium on a Pico tank.
I like it enough that I am seriously considering setting up a larger tank with a refugium that utilizes it, but is otherwise set up according to the Ecosystem Method.

kevinpratt823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 600 gal system with a 55 gal fug, 4" of miracle mud and 1-2" of aragonite, growing calupera with light on 24/7. No detectable nitrates.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back