Sps Touching RTN?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Heabel7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Heabel7

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2018
Messages
441
Reaction score
386
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 decent size colonies 7+” across of garf bonsai and a no name tenuis touching each other for a couple months. Generally if my sps touch and one or both appear to be hurting one another I clip and separate. However in this case they seemed to be equally matched and growing around one another. Then suddenly I had a large 1” death on each. I immediately broke off all of it. Over the next 3 days both completely RTN. Even the frags I tried to save from RTN.

is this normal? and should I be more proactive in the future?
 
I've had this happen as well and can't give you a good reason for it. I just changed my behavior to get ahead of it before it occurs. Would love to hear a definitive reason why they can tolerate each other for months and then all of a sudden go belly-up.
 
Hmm. I have stuff get knocked up against each other all the time in my frag system and one or both get a burn. But RTN events I usually place to something more systemic. Even systemic "things" can affect some acropora, while others swim right through. GARF in my experience is a canary for sure. I try to keep 2 pieces around, one for each system.
 
Hmm. I have stuff get knocked up against each other all the time in my frag system and one or both get a burn. But RTN events I usually place to something more systemic. Even systemic "things" can affect some acropora, while others swim right through. GARF in my experience is a canary for sure. I try to keep 2 pieces around, one for each system.
I measured my parameters and had low magnesium. 1200 and poking around this afternoon my acro tips seem a bit porous. Does that correlate? Low mag and weak skeletal system
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new