Sps Touching RTN?

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 decent size colonies 7+” across of garf bonsai and a no name tenuis touching each other for a couple months. Generally if my sps touch and one or both appear to be hurting one another I clip and separate. However in this case they seemed to be equally matched and growing around one another. Then suddenly I had a large 1” death on each. I immediately broke off all of it. Over the next 3 days both completely RTN. Even the frags I tried to save from RTN.

is this normal? and should I be more proactive in the future?

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen as well and can't give you a good reason for it. I just changed my behavior to get ahead of it before it occurs. Would love to hear a definitive reason why they can tolerate each other for months and then all of a sudden go belly-up.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I have stuff get knocked up against each other all the time in my frag system and one or both get a burn. But RTN events I usually place to something more systemic. Even systemic "things" can affect some acropora, while others swim right through. GARF in my experience is a canary for sure. I try to keep 2 pieces around, one for each system.

OP
OP
Heabel7

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I have stuff get knocked up against each other all the time in my frag system and one or both get a burn. But RTN events I usually place to something more systemic. Even systemic "things" can affect some acropora, while others swim right through. GARF in my experience is a canary for sure. I try to keep 2 pieces around, one for each system.
I measured my parameters and had low magnesium. 1200 and poking around this afternoon my acro tips seem a bit porous. Does that correlate? Low mag and weak skeletal system

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back