OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very creative, looks awesome. Where'd you get the box? I like the lined openings in the back, and with the grey wire tubing and the purple ballasts it really pops. Now you need some strip colored LEDs to really show them off! lol
I am looking forward to seeing all the things you come up with for electrical/wire storage. I've been searching for ideas for when I redo the inside of my stand and add my Apex.

I got the box from Hobby Lobby for $15. Timer and outlet for the ballast are behind the stand. I won't be doing a Apex or anything like it, if anything I would only want the LED's on a wireless application but other than that I have no need to monitor any of the gadgets. All the equipment will be controlled by the rocker switches you see under the ballasts. The ballast of course will be on timers. I did raise my eye brows at the new Echotech Reef Link but that would be something down the road.

Last edited:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, I've been keeping my system going on 4 years now and have never used a controller; I've only had a few mishaps such as a small sump leak, ato got stuck on, etc... but no casualties. Now that I'm putting more money into corals though I pulled the trigger and got an apex with a extra EB8, although it has been sitting on my desk collecting dust for over 6 months now. I have put off re-doing the sump/inside of my stand waay to long now (wait a minute, you know all about waiting and taking your time : ) lol). I finally found a nice cabinet from IKEA with a glossy black acrylic front that I will use to store the electronics, ato container, future doser, and chiller. Plan to sand, paint, and coat the inside of the stand, DEEP clean my sump or get a new one, and replace all plumbing and pumps to just one or two pumps (currently have x2 mag 7's, mag 9.5, iwaki950, and maxijet all in that small space!). I have to do this with the tank still running; will have to setup a remote sump I suppose. To top it off, I will replace my stand doors with sliding black glossy acrylic doors that match the cabinet I'm getting. It's going to be quite the project!

I like the idea of the Apex (or any controller really) mainly for the precautionary features: turn off lights/chiller/etc if things get too hot, or shutting off the ato pump or a heater if they malfunction which definitely happens despite having top of the line equipment. I guess I just see it as a means of protection for the large investment of corals and livestock. And the ability to monitor parameters and all the other whodads that it has is an extra bonus. Haha sorry for the long rant

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those metal halides?!
I SAID LED ALL THE TANKS.jpg

Nah I keed.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, I've been keeping my system going on 4 years now and have never used a controller; I've only had a few mishaps such as a small sump leak, ato got stuck on, etc... but no casualties. Now that I'm putting more money into corals though I pulled the trigger and got an apex with a extra EB8, although it has been sitting on my desk collecting dust for over 6 months now. I have put off re-doing the sump/inside of my stand waay to long now (wait a minute, you know all about waiting and taking your time : ) lol). I finally found a nice cabinet from IKEA with a glossy black acrylic front that I will use to store the electronics, ato container, future doser, and chiller. Plan to sand, paint, and coat the inside of the stand, DEEP clean my sump or get a new one, and replace all plumbing and pumps to just one or two pumps (currently have x2 mag 7's, mag 9.5, iwaki950, and maxijet all in that small space!). I have to do this with the tank still running; will have to setup a remote sump I suppose. To top it off, I will replace my stand doors with sliding black glossy acrylic doors that match the cabinet I'm getting. It's going to be quite the project!

I like the idea of the Apex (or any controller really) mainly for the precautionary features: turn off lights/chiller/etc if things get too hot, or shutting off the ato pump or a heater if they malfunction which definitely happens despite having top of the line equipment. I guess I just see it as a means of protection for the large investment of corals and livestock. And the ability to monitor parameters and all the other whodads that it has is an extra bonus. Haha sorry for the long rant

If controllers could give you a constant reading of dkh, calcium, magnesium, specific gravity, temp and ph then I'd be sold. For this system I have a thermometer to double check my temp but my chiller gives me a constant reading on my temp. Lights are all on timers and everything else are on rocker switches. But I can see the peace of mind in having an Apex or something similar and an app to go with it. I may add something down the road.
Good luck on your new tank over! Can't wait to see the new look!

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 25 gallon water tank I picked up today. I may give it a paint job, who knows. We have a Agri Supply center not too far were I live that has just about anything!

IMG_1464_zps71fa8f5e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah I think 25 gallons will be plenty for mixing salt and top off water, we'll see.

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man can't wait to see this thing wet it's been a long time coming but it's beautiful!

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man can't wait to see this thing wet it's been a long time coming but it's beautiful!

Thanks. I can't wait to get the aqua scape going. Return pump comes tomorrow! Can't wait to see it. Reef Octo DC 5500.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump has arrived!

IMG_1465_zps14f8bb4a.jpg

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back