Spyder's Tank

Spyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is what I have so far.
30 gal DT with 20 gal sump Total water volume is around 40 gallons. There is about 35lbs of LR in there and I have a koralia 3 for flow (I have some serious flow in there)
100_18361.jpg

100_1587.jpg

As you can see I use an algae scrubber, I run it in combination with a Octo DNWB-200.
100_14212.jpg

The pair seem to do a great job keeping the water clean as there is no detectable PO4 or NO3 using API test kits.

I have a mag 9.5 for a return pump and the skimmer is fed by the overflow box (less than ideal but it is what it is).
I made myself an auto top off system out of a 5 gallon bucket some hose I had laying around and a few valves that were also laying around. I hung the bucket from the ceiling so it can run off of gravity. It works pretty well as long as I don't forget to fill the bucket every few days.
100_1642.jpg

100_1822.jpg

For the lights I have a 130w Coralife PC fixtre (wish I had more light)

Stock wise I have the following
2 Damsels
2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
As for corals I only have the Zoas (I've been told they are Radioactive Dragon Eyes with some Wammin Watermellons mixed in). I had to frag a small piece because the were flapping away in the current and they didn't like it very much.
100_18331.jpg

100_18281.jpg

I think thats just about it for now

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does our auto top off work?

Its as simple as you can get I think. The bucket is hanging from the ceiling above and behind the tank on the other side of the wall, there is a black hose (pic below) that goes into the bucket through the lid, it runs through the wall and into the valve where I set the drip rate into the sump. To get it started all I have to do is open the valve the whole way and start a siphon and set it at what ever drip rate I need. The only time I have trouble is if I forget to fill the bucket and it runs dry.

To refill the bucket I ran another hose into the lid, across the ceiling and over to my RO/DI, when I want to fill the bucket all I have to do is plug the fill line into the output line of the RO/DI.

The clear hose in the first pic posted is so I can see how much water is in the bucket, I don't know why but thats the part of it I am most proud of. LOL
100_1639.jpg

Looking good it's a start
Thanks... I started this tank three years ago but until about 2 weeks ago it was FOWLR. I've had my share of trouble with it but I am getting the hang of things... I hope. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I mad a heck of a mess with it the other day, I forgot about it when I was filling it up and well I think you can figure out what happened then.

One of these days I am going to rig up an overflow hose to a drain so that doesn't happen again.

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a dirty Zoa eating Nudi making a meal out of my Zoas. I got the dirty point of sale out but now I am worried that there are more to follow.

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to pick them off one by one. It took about two weeks of combing through the zoa every three days but there has been no sign of them since February.

The tank looks very different now, I will try to get some updated pics up.

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the new look. No plan for changes or additions in the near future, I'm just gonna grow out what I have now and everything is growing like a weed so all is good.

100_20822.jpg

100_20852.jpg

100_20782.jpg

OP
OP
S

Spyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while so I'll up date. I had to give my Damsels away as they out grew my tank and became very disruptive because I couldn't feed them as much as they wanted needed, at least I know that the are in great hands and have a 120 with nems all to themselves and get all the food they can stuff their bellies with. The new owner told me that they beg him for food as soon as they see him enter the room just as they did me.

As of now my tank has been over run with hair algae because I let my RO/DI exhaust itself. I have since replaced the RO/DI and tonight I picked up some Turbo snails and an Emerald crab to help beat it back into submission after the LRC meeting. Less than five minutes after acclimation the Emerald was making a meal out of some of the nasty green stuff so hopefully the new additions and some water changes will get things back in order.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back