Spyke's SPS 150

Spyke326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefer Friends!

Been on the forums for a while but mostly as a viewer. I thought I would document/share my new build :).

A quick overview of the tank.
Planet Aquarium Rimless 150 - 60x24x25
8 bulb Sunpower with a ReefBrite XHO on each side
BashSea sump
Vectra M2
4 Mp40s
Deltec 1000ix

Start date was 11/21. Big Thanks to @txreefer for doing the plumbing and rock work!!!
I decided this round to go with mostly live rock from KPA. Have about 90 Lbs of Live, 60ish Lbs of Dry.

Planning on dosing some KZ product as my last tank seemed to improve once I started dosing it. Going to try starting with Kalk this round then later on add 2 Part or a Calcium Reactor, have always done 2 part at the beginning but since the tank is in my office I experience lower PH.

Still need to put the MP40s in. I have always put them on the sides but want to give the backwall a try. Waiting for the Skimmer and Kalk Reactor to come in along with a couple other random things.

I plan on setting up a AWC system. Luckily behind the tank is the garage so I hope I can make that work and keep the mixing station in the garage.

Still lots to do and install. I will do my best to keep this to date :)

11/25
First Tank Picture.PNG

OP
OP
Spyke326

Spyke326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is going great! Getting diatoms on the dry rock I used but the live rock doesn't have any so far which is nice!! Will be doing the first WC today. Going to give Brightwell salt a shot. Was using Tropic Marin in the past and really liked it but Alk always seemed a little low for me.

Here is a current picture.

Tank 12-4.PNG

Got my Skimmer put in the tank today. Going to take a couple days to settle down but so far it is dead quite and its already pulling stuff out even though its overflowing.

Deltec 1000ix.PNG

Added a larger ATO container from Bashsea. This will help since I will be running a Kalk reactor. Haven't setup the reactor yet as I don't see a point yet. I went with the K1 and it seems nice!

OP
OP
Spyke326

Spyke326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in my clowns and yellow tang last weekend with another tang from a LFS that I trusted but turns out I got velvet. Guess I shouldn't of trusted them, but it happens. Luckily I was able to catch everything so for the next 3 months its corals only. I will pickup a couple testers this weekend and see how it goes.

So far the Deltec is awesome!! Pulling a good amount so far in only a week. I will say it has a very small hum but with the cabinet closed you can't hear it.

Will get a clean up crew ordered next week to start putting a dent into the diatoms.

OP
OP
Spyke326

Spyke326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the testers in about a month ago. They are very small but that's what you get when its free :). I got a Ly Sen Monti Cap, Ultimate Soli and a Setosa. The Soli basically turned almost all white but is now getting is color back and encrusting. The monti cap is still pale but is also encrusting. I will give it a couple more weeks before I order anything else.

Monti Cap ( please don't look at the algae )
Monti Cap.PNG

Soli ( All Lights on )
Soli 2.PNG

Soli ( Just Reefbrites )
Soli.PNG

The other side of the Soli looks better. I forgot to turn it before taking pics.

Setosa
Monti.PNG

I have gotten my first round of fish ordered from Dr Reef so they have plenty of time to be quaranteed and be here mid March.

OP
OP
Spyke326

Spyke326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the tester corals are growing really well. So I thought it was time to add some more. Got a shipment from Battlecorals on Tuesday and everything looks awesome and happy!

Mothership Table
Mothership Table Acro.PNG

Ultimate Table
Ultimate Table Acro.PNG

BC Efflo 2.0
BC Efflo 2.0.PNG

Aquatic-Man Table
Aquatic-man Table.PNG

Bonfire Table
Bonfire Table Acro.PNG

OP
OP
Spyke326

Spyke326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is growing really well! Hooked up my CO2 scrubber to push the PH up and it has really shown to help with growth. Hopefully once I start dosing more Kalk I can take the scrubber offline, its going through media quickly. My hope is this week I can transfer from the frag racks to the rocks so I can add more.

Mothership
Mothership Table Acro 2-19.PNG

Ultimate Table
Ultimate Table 2-19.PNG

BC Efflo
BC Efflo 2.0 2-19.PNG

Aquatic-Man Table
Aquatic-Man Table 2-19.PNG

Bonfire Table
Bonfire Table 2-19.PNG

Soli
Soli 2-19.PNG

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back