Squamipinnus or Lyretail? LOL

KenRexford

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2019
Messages
353
Reaction score
396
Location
Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to try a small group of anthias in my 125g mixed reef. The only place in my State to have any was my go-to, which will remain unnamed to protect the innocent. I called in advance because of the drive (90 minutes), and they unfortunately only had two female Lyretail Anthias in stock. Oh well, better than none. So, I showed up and quickly for two nice Squamipinnus Anthias males, one of which was transitioning. I thought maybe I could talk the new guy out of it, but I asked if the females were still in stock from earlier. Nope—sold out. I then browsed some more and found two “female Lyretail Anthias” on sale. The females were $30 each, males $100 each.

So, other than the obvious humor, I realized a couple things. First, using Latin names apparently raises the price, a lot. Second, research pays off, also a lot, even with very good LFS’s. Third, ask very precise questions in a large fish store, two different ways, maybe 3.

Now here’s hoping that the neighbors let these three settle in without too much fuss. On a related note, do they sell shock collars for adult domino damsels?
 
The Domino Damsel strangely seems to like the anthias. Who knew?
One female is still hiding, but the other female and the male seem to have bonded. The Chromis brothers are quite welcoming.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new