Squeezing 5 XR15's Into A 36" Unit?

Larry L

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow, what 36" tank needs 5 XR15s? Is it super deep? I have two XR15s over a 36" x 24" footprint and can't run them over 50% without burning everything up.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Mount 3 xr 30's perpendicular. They are not meant to be placed Left to Right, they are to be placed front to back.

Aquatic Life makes a larger spacer to increase the size of the gap specifically to allow you to place lights perpendicular.

@Larry L -- People with large SPS colonies and serious SPS tanks need an XR30 per 12" or so. Shadowing is a HUGE problem.

Last edited:

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
I just measured my 36" internal dimension and its 35.25". Could be a little tight if the XR15 are 7".

As for widening the fixture that is possible too like @Rakie mentioned. We have wider endplates and wider LED brackets to increase the width to 23.25".

Quick question, could you instead of 5 Xr15 go with 2 - XR30 and 1 -XR15? I think this could give you a little more space in the fixture if needed.

OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'll go with the three XR30's running perpendicular to the T5's :) Is there any way to angle the t5's inward a little bit as they'll be right on the edges of the tank and angling them in would solve a lot of those issues. Obviously I assume this sort of mod would void the warranty though haha

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'll go with the three XR30's running perpendicular to the T5's :) Is there any way to angle the t5's inward a little bit as they'll be right on the edges of the tank and angling them in would solve a lot of those issues. Obviously I assume this sort of mod would void the warranty though haha
All the best mods void warranties :(

Do you have a local "hobby" friend you can call on when you need them?

• YES

Votes: 247 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 122 18.4%
  • I wish!

Votes: 293 44.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Budman's Corals LLC