Squidley's Bikini Bottom Theme Tank - Planning Slideshow

squidleydidleydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I've wanted a reef tank forever, and just about a month ago started getting really excited about it. Now because of some life circumstances I won't be able to actually get one until at least March of 2024, which means I've had nothing to do except research and plan! I've made a few posts on here about ideas and stock lists, but as I've been trying to decide what to do I kept running into a problem that I've had with a lot of things besides reefing: I want to do EVERYTHING! I kept going back and forth about what types of corals, what fish, and what tank to go with, until I heard something about theme tanks and a lightbulb went off in my head.
Immediately I realized that there was a theme so obvious for me that it's absurd that it took me so long to come up with it. See, I LOVE Spongebob. I've been obsessed with the show for years, and even had a side-obsession for the Broadway musical (yes, there is a Spongebob Broadway musical, and yes, it's ACTUALLY GOOD!).
So for the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about what aspects of Spongebob could inspire a tank, and have come up with a plan for my dream aquarium. Obviously this is a massive undertaking for a newbie, so I'll be getting my feet wet so-to-speak with a smaller tank where I will hopefully be able to keep some of the fish and start growing some of the hardier corals while I build my skillset (and save up money).
I've compiled all of my plans into a slideshow, which you can take a look at right here:
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png
11.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
15.png
16.png
17.png
18.png
19.png
20.png
21.png
22.png
23.png
24.png
25.png

26.png
27.png
28.png
29.png
30.png
31.png
32.png
33.png
34.png
35.png
36.png
37.png
38.png

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear any feedback you might have, especially on other fish and corals that I might not have thought of that would fit the theme well. I'll continue to update this thread as I solidify my plans, and you can expect to see actual tank setup progress in the spring!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide more detail? This first post on your tank plans seems a bit lack luster.
:face-with-tears-of-joy:
I just took a break and read the entire thing and it wore me completely out.:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Thanks for sharing the highlights!

Kris Reef
college explaining GIF
happy spongebob squarepants GIF by Nickelodeon

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I've wanted a reef tank forever, and just about a month ago started getting really excited about it. Now because of some life circumstances I won't be able to actually get one until at least March of 2024, which means I've had nothing to do except research and plan! I've made a few posts on here about ideas and stock lists, but as I've been trying to decide what to do I kept running into a problem that I've had with a lot of things besides reefing: I want to do EVERYTHING! I kept going back and forth about what types of corals, what fish, and what tank to go with, until I heard something about theme tanks and a lightbulb went off in my head.
Immediately I realized that there was a theme so obvious for me that it's absurd that it took me so long to come up with it. See, I LOVE Spongebob. I've been obsessed with the show for years, and even had a side-obsession for the Broadway musical (yes, there is a Spongebob Broadway musical, and yes, it's ACTUALLY GOOD!).
So for the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about what aspects of Spongebob could inspire a tank, and have come up with a plan for my dream aquarium. Obviously this is a massive undertaking for a newbie, so I'll be getting my feet wet so-to-speak with a smaller tank where I will hopefully be able to keep some of the fish and start growing some of the hardier corals while I build my skillset (and save up money).
I've compiled all of my plans into a slideshow, which you can take a look at right here:
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png
9.png
10.png
11.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
15.png
16.png
17.png
18.png
19.png
20.png
21.png
22.png
23.png
24.png
25.png

26.png
27.png
28.png
29.png
30.png
31.png
32.png
33.png
34.png
35.png
36.png
37.png
38.png

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear any feedback you might have, especially on other fish and corals that I might not have thought of that would fit the theme well. I'll continue to update this thread as I solidify my plans, and you can expect to see actual tank setup progress in the spring!
I don't see Patrick or sponge Bob

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back