ssicce syncra DC return pump noise

Damien359

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
I recently purchased a new Sicce syncra DC return pump and it is the noisiest pump I ever owned is this normal for a Sicce DC pump? I thought it was suppose to be silent and Sicce suppose to be one of the best around.
Any thoughts

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. At least it seems to be for me. It's not actually the pump itself, but it seems to generate a significant hum/vibration through the plumbing - regardless of how much dampening and padding is given to the pump. The SDC9 is a lot louder than the SDC6 I run in the same system for the UV.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all feet flat on the bottom? Is any part of the pump touching the sides? Is it completely submerged?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, make adjustments and reevaluate. It should be pretty close to silent otherwise.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all feet flat on the bottom? Is any part of the pump touching the sides? Is it completely submerged?

If the answer to any of those questions is no, make adjustments and reevaluate. It should be pretty close to silent otherwise.
+1 I run the SDC6

OP
OP
D

Damien359

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the pump is flat on the glass and nothing touching the sides and is fully submerged. I have to admit I can feel the vibration coming through the hose when I touch it. I am running a water manifold that is attached to the reinforced tubing/hose which is fixed to the pump.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you attach a silicon tubing to the pump and then hard pump it to PVC? Did you check the Impeller shaft to made sure it is sitting correctly? As @kittenbritches said the 4 rubber feet should be attached too

1ADEB8DE-3502-42CB-AE4C-580CC71B5523.jpeg

Last edited:

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My SDC 6 has a significant hum at anything above 60%. That’s even with silicone tubing and sitting on a silicone mat.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following because I want to upgrade my noisey return pump to something that will not hum so much. Came across this thread in the preemptive post search. Where do you find the silicon return hose? I thought to try that first as most of the noise comes from the hard reinforced hose touching the sides of the sump.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following because I want to upgrade my noisey return pump to something that will not hum so much. Came across this thread in the preemptive post search. Where do you find the silicon return hose? I thought to try that first as most of the noise comes from the hard reinforced hose touching the sides of the sump.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the sdc9 running for 12months. Its loud after 6 months and a few cleanings it makes a different noise but it is still so noisy and such a hum to it, im lucky its located where it is. And I keep a new one on the shelf because I don't quite trust it but so far its working @ 80% loud!

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the fast reply. I am pretty sure my 425XL needs the 3/4 Inch, which following the link you posted, is out of stock :(

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uxcell Silicone Tubing 3/4"(20mm) ID x 1"(26mm) OD 3.3ft(1m) Silicone Rubber Tube Air Hose for Pump Transfer Clear

Thanks for this. I was eyeballing it tonight, but did not pull the trigger. I was wondering if it is true soft silicon, or if it is just clear cheap plastic tubing like we get with the siphon. Any Idea?

I was also a little worried because one of the reviews said the walls of the tubing were thinner then they expected.

If you know its the good stuff I'll place the order with confidence, thank you.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I was eyeballing it tonight, but did not pull the trigger. I was wondering if it is true soft silicon, or if it is just clear cheap plastic tubing like we get with the siphon. Any Idea?

I was also a little worried because one of the reviews said the walls of the tubing were thinner then they expected.

If you know its the good stuff I'll place the order with confidence, thank you.
I ordered the 16mm and it is perfect. It's a more flexible silicone than the hose that came with my RSR, and I'm very happy with it.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the 16mm and it is perfect. It's a more flexible silicone than the hose that came with my RSR, and I'm very happy with it.
Thanks; my RSR is going in on Monday and because I don’t have all the plumbing set up I only know Red Sea told me to 5/8” ID and it sounds like I’ll need tubing for the second return pump at least. What kind of hose clamp is everyone using?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the sdc9 running for 12months. Its loud after 6 months and a few cleanings it makes a different noise but it is still so noisy and such a hum to it, im lucky its located where it is. And I keep a new one on the shelf because I don't quite trust it but so far its working @ 80% loud!
To bad such pricey pump and still with a hum to it.
Many others on the market that are far quieter.

Jay Wilson- SICCE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
I recently purchased a new Sicce syncra DC return pump and it is the noisiest pump I ever owned is this normal for a Sicce DC pump? I thought it was suppose to be silent and Sicce suppose to be one of the best around.
Any thoughts
hey bud wanted to see if you got this rectified? If not I would love to help you out. While not going to be emitting zero sound a loud obnoxious sound is not something we would ever tolerate.

if you have any more questions we would be glad to work with you to find a solution.

[email protected]

Back