Stability and reading forum info

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can all agree that Stability is the #1 reason behind successful reefing.

Have you ever got caught up in reading some info in a firum....only to spark an idea to "change it up "..... but the change ends up Destabilizing the tank.

I'd like to hear if you are reefer who is willing to change-it-up based on smthg you read.....or..... do you just read and go "Hmmmm" but don't do anything to keep your tank stable

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their own way to run a tank and there are more correct ways than one. What works for one may not work for another.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their own way to run a tank and there are more correct ways than one. What works for one may not work for another.
But that's what I'm saying....

You are running your tank one way with mild success.

Then read smthg

Then get crazy ideas

Then start to experiment

Then Stability is OUT DA WINDOW

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then read smthg

Then get crazy ideas

Then start to experiment

I personally just do what I think is best and usually rely on the consensus of others. The only thing I’m really experimenting with now is vibrant. I was on the fence about it but I bit the bullet. So if my tank crashes as a result, I’ll blame the semi-consensus on vibrant for algae control. ;Hilarious

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep mine stable and read.
The only thing I may change is to try different t5 bulbs for visual improvement.
However, I did run my nano for 10 months doing 3 gallon water changes a week. It was 25 gallons. I read up on Glenn Fongs no water change method and tried it on the nano with excellent results. I now do the same on my 120.
So mines just the opposite. My tanks are very stable now since implenenting the method.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally just do what I think is best and usually rely on the consensus of others. The only thing I’m really experimenting with now is vibrant. I was on the fence about it but I bit the bullet. So if my tank crashes as a result, I’ll blame the semi-consensus on vibrant for algae control. ;Hilarious
Vibrant worked for me. I started with 1/2 dose and it cleared up some ugly algae in about 2 months with zero issues.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked for me. I started with 1/2 dose and it cleared up some ugly algae in about 2 months with zero issues.
Did you do the recommended every two weeks method? I know many people doing weekly. I’m actually using a 1/4 dose and will slowly up it if everything looks ok.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do the recommended every two weeks method? I know many people doing weekly. I’m actually using a 1/4 dose and will slowly up it if everything looks ok.
1/2 dose a week for 2 weeks then full dose every 10 days for about a month and a half. Once it was gone I stopped and coralline took over.
I did not have hair algae just some dark brown stuff. Heres a pic before and after.
20191019_154451.jpg
20191219_113419.jpg

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daily routine is based on my SG.

Meaning as my skimmer pulls out foam plus as my ATO adjusts the water level..... I'm constantly watching SG to stay tight on 1.024/1.025

If OVER 1.025 I add the appropriate amt of RODI water

If UNDER 1.024 I add the appropriate amt of salt mix in the sump.

My total water volume is big like 220 with a 180g DT + 100g sump. Having a large amt if water SG moves a lot slower. If I ever downgraded the DT I'd still keep my 100g sump to have more volume to play with.

DAILY DOSING
I have like thirty 28oz Gatorade bottles.

I premake thirty bottles and each day dump one 28oz Gatorade bottle directly into the DT tank in a PH flowstream

28oz Gatorade bottle contains:
* RODI water filling up the Gatorade bottle
* 1/4 cup of salt mix (Fritz rpm)
* 5ml iodide
* 1 droplet of Lugols
* 1/8th teaspoon of lab grade Strontium Chl powder
* 1/8th teaspoon of lab grade Potassium Chl powder
* 10ml of liquid PART-A (calc part) of ESV (which contains a bunch of other trace elements ontop of the calcium part. Luv it)
* the 2part Alk (I dont buy nor dose bc my DKH goes really high with only having zoas/palys)
* 2ml squirt of Brightwell REPLENISH that handles all trace elements

* I also dose separately outside the Gatorade bottles 20ml of 80proof vodka

That stability has worked for me.

I've run into problems overfeeding the fish homemade deli seafood that's loaded with PO4 that causes GHA outbreaks.... but I deal with it. Most of my LR can easily be pulled out in individual pieces (nothing tightly stacked/locked together).... that has help a TON being able to pull individual rock for manual cleaning

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then read smthg

Then get crazy ideas

Then start to experiment

Yes....fall of 2018 I wanted to get my high phosphates and nitrates down so I added chaeto to my sump. The hammer in my profile pic, which was taken before the chaeto addition, didn't like it. I had dropped my nitrates to 5 pmm and phos was lower but still high. This last year it really didn't fully expand and I had a few heads bail. It is finally looking better again....nitrates are back up to 25 ppm and phos has been reading low....go figure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back