Stabilizing Alkalinity

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Morning Reefers,
I have a question. I am trying to stabilize my alk more. I want my Alk to always read 8.5 it seems like I have fluctuations. How can I stabilize it more?
I don't want to add a Calc reactor which is a different story but I do dose a few mL of all a day. It seems like my tank has different consumption habits.
Just when I thought I nailed the consumption it changes. I don't have a lot of coral as I want to stabilize the alk more. I am sure I need to give more info ask whatever you need
and I will be more than happy to answer. Thanks.

Alk.JPG

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you adding to have the spikes? 2 part, kalk, etc?

If dosing alk/2 part cut back where it’s high and add a little at the time it’s low until it all levels out

If you’re dosing kalk with a ato your kinda at the mercy of evaporation

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you adding to have the spikes? 2 part, kalk, etc?

If dosing alk/2 part cut back where it’s high and add a little at the time it’s low until it all levels out

If you’re dosing kalk with a ato your kinda at the mercy of evaporation
Yes, I am using BRS 2 part soda ash I mix up with RODI. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks very stable to me, but adding more during the day and less at night will stabilize it more (if you are adding any at night).
Thank you. I was adding very little at night but I can add more in the day. THis is awesome thank you so much for your reply it means the world to me.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefers,
I have a question. I am trying to stabilize my alk more. I want my Alk to always read 8.5 it seems like I have fluctuations. How can I stabilize it more?
I don't want to add a Calc reactor which is a different story but I do dose a few mL of all a day. It seems like my tank has different consumption habits.
Just when I thought I nailed the consumption it changes. I don't have a lot of coral as I want to stabilize the alk more. I am sure I need to give more info ask whatever you need
and I will be more than happy to answer. Thanks.

Alk.JPG
I don't see an issue here.... Honestly, your good. +./- .15 per day is great. Your corals won't care. If you really want to feed your ocd don't dose at night when your alk consumption is at it's lowest point in the dirunal cycle.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you know i was under the impression that my alk had to stay at one number and not budge at all. I did not think it was ok for it to go + or - 0.01 so I keep my alk at 8.5 I thought if it went to 8.6 or 8.4 coral would STN. since it is rather low swings I can enjoy some of these live sales lololol.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you know i was under the impression that my alk had to stay at one number and not budge at all. I did not think it was ok for it to go + or - 0.01 so I keep my alk at 8.5 I thought if it went to 8.6 or 8.4 coral would STN. since it is rather low swings I can enjoy some of these live sales lololol.
Yeah a reasonable narrow band is cool. Nothing exists in stasis. I mean no huge Alk swings, lots of those aren't good as they stress corals which opens them to problems imo.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While alk stability is generally considered desirable, if perhaps lacking in definitive experimental proof, a once a day dose of up to 0.5 dkH (so an alk jump of 0.5 dKH) is generally considered OK, if not perfect.

The evidence for usefulness of alk stability comes from reports from folks using automatic alk control claiming their SPS seem improved. But exactly how much alk can be unstable on a daily basis is not clear.

There's also a difference (IMO) between corals that are accustomed to a daily change, and corals that are suddenly hit with an alk change that they are not adapted to.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back