Stable dc return pump

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers I’m looking for a dc return pump for my deep blue 57 that will keep a constant speed once set. I’d like spend around $300

I have a jebao dcp4000 that every few days will speed up or slow down, super annoying since I have a herbie overflow. I have removed filter socks and shut off skimmer and power heads just to verify it wasn’t another variable.

I’m hoping this isn’t a characteristic of all dc pumps.

U

User1

View Badges
Hello reefers I’m looking for a dc return pump for my deep blue 57 that will keep a constant speed once set. I’d like spend around $300

I have a jebao dcp4000 that every few days will speed up or slow down, super annoying since I have a herbie overflow. I have removed filter socks and shut off skimmer and power heads just to verify it wasn’t another variable.

I’m hoping this isn’t a characteristic of all dc pumps.

It isn't. Here is a video I would recommend you watch if you have some time. Not long and done by BRS. It lists the best of 2019. More or less their thoughts and sales data. I can say I've personally I am biased towards Neptune Cor return pumps. I run 2 x Cor 15 and 1 x Cor 20. No issues at all and they are steady to what I set for months between cleaning. One Cor 15 is return pump. One Cor 20 return pump. Failover protection x two. First is Cor 15 powered off the 1 link cable and energy bar. Cor 20 is powered into wall outlet. This gives me two different power sources (energy bar & wall outlet) and two return pumps running in case of failure(s). Other Cor 15 is on my skimmer :). All same plumbing and I can swap them around as I see fit should something fail. Been this way for 2 years now.

I cannot speak for other DC pumps. I've run Mag on my 100 gallon years ago with success but that isn't a DC pump. Only other one I've run is Iwaki / Japanese model and again AC but a great pump. I tried a Jebao DCT 15000 but it didn't make it past the tanks water leak test. The body is paper thin, broke the handle off, and the neck on the outlet cracked. Tossed it and bought the Cors.

TL;DR - no. Not all DC pumps are like the Jebao. Thus the vide so you can get maybe a unbiased opinion :D. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Anthony Cusumano

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I was looking at the cor as I have an apex and it would be seamless. The reviews are mixed though.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe check out the rossmont riser line of pumps. They’re ac, but controllable like dc. I’ve got the 850 that I use in my fish room and I like it a lot. That pump and controller would be well under your budget.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot compare a Jabeo or other patent-stealing Chinese pump to the other kinds of DC pump. I am not talking about made-in-China pumps since a lot of stuff is made there, I am talking about Jebao who steals other peoples IP to make pumps as cheap as possible and the quality sucks.

If you see a pump at a good retailer (Quality Marine, BRS, Marine Depot) that is DC, then it is probably fine. There are many DC pumps that should be able to do what you are looking for.

OP
OP
Anthony Cusumano

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it narrowed down to vectra s2/m2 or the cor 15/20. Leaning towards the m2

Back