stable ph or alk

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always dosed kwalk at a constant rate throughout the date. THis has allowed my alk to stay nearly rock stable throughout the day. I might get a 0.1 swing up or down during the day. My PH does swing a bit more though, usuall y from 8.1 to 8.4. I've been thinking about changing my kwalk dosing schedule to only dosing at night to try to get my PH stable. This will obviously affect my alk stability. Is there any benefit to having a rock steady ph vs alk or vice versa?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always better to be more stable but your current pH swing is not bad so I wouldn't sacrifice alk stability for pH stability for the kind of levels/swings you are seeing.

Plus there are other methods to address pH swing than changing your dosing sch.
1) fuge on opposite light sch.
2) co2 scrubber with solenoid that kicks in either at night , or when pH falls below 8.3
3) open some windows at night to reduce ambient room co2 level
4) hold your breathe at night.

nukemdanno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always better to be more stable but your current pH swing is not bad so I wouldn't sacrifice alk stability for pH stability for the kind of levels/swings you are seeing.

Plus there are other methods to address pH swing than changing your dosing sch.
1) fuge on opposite light sch.
2) co2 scrubber with solenoid that kicks in either at night , or when pH falls below 8.3
3) open some windows at night to reduce ambient room co2 level
4) hold your breathe at night.
Plus one to all of the above except #4 :p
I dose Kalk every 2 hours from midnight to 8am small 50ml doses to help keep ph stable at night

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the answer as to the relative benefits of pH stability vs alkalinity stability has not been clearly answered.

Alkalinity stability is much easier to attain, and many folks see clear benefits from that with certain rapidly calcifying corals.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also run an air line outside from your skimmer to increase PH. I don't think your current swing is bad though, 8.1 for your low is better than a lot of tanks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back