Stagnant Water in Algae Reactor

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump running my UV and Algae reactor has died, water hasn't run through either for approx. 5 days - but they are both full. Is there any concern from this stagnant / stationary contained water when I connect the replacement pump? Necessary to strip everything down and empty or just connect and go?

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you have the lights on your UV and Scrubber during this time? What is the size of the two components to the total system volume?

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to figure it out at this point is to look in your scrubber to see if there is any die off and other particulates in the water associated with that and smell the water that is contained in it. if it has a pungent smell just clean everything. With it being 2% of your total water volume as long as you have good mechanical filtration you should be in the good. Personally, I would dump and clean while the system is down as preventative maintenance.

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would be worried about anaerobic gas built up. Not worth the risk.
If the filter is 2% of tank volume and is in chamber such as a algae reactor, I do not believe that Anaerobic Gas will be a prevent issue in this matter. The small volume if any would dissipate during the introduction to oxygen rich tank water much like the nitrogen bubbles leaving the sand bed to the top of the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back