Stainless steel temperature probe

aj741986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm thinking about using a stainless steel temperature probe in my water make up station. I think it would be ok but figured I'd ask the community for their input.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that's fine, mostly all high end temp probes are stainless.

I'm curios, why those "expensive" brands like Neptune only offer plastic made probes?

Also, all temperature controllers that I've seen have plastic probes.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curios, why those "expensive" brands like Neptune only offer plastic made probes?

Also, all temperature controllers that I've seen have plastic probes.

I do not know for sure, this is just my guess. But the stainless steel things I have had in my tank, like my grounding probe, get gunked up really quickly and get a buildup on them that is really hard to clean off. The things like the apex plastic grounding probe do not seem to get that. That thick build up would likely mess up it's accuracy of temp readings.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For very long submersion (years), I would put my probes into normal flexible tygon tubing just big enough to fit, and doubled it over with the ends above water so the probes stayed dry. I had both stainless steel and plastic thermistor probes fail after long continuous contact with water.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For very long submersion (years), I would put my probes into normal flexible tygon tubing just big enough to fit, and doubled it over with the ends above water so the probes stayed dry. I had both stainless steel and plastic thermistor probes fail after long continuous contact with water.

I was thinking something like that, I was thinking to put the probe in a PVC housing so to test only the surrounding temperature inside the PVC housing, I don't know if there's a huge difference in temperature from the PVC and the water surrounding it.

I was also thinking using a laser beam to read the temperature of the water in the sump.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking something like that, I was thinking to put the probe in a PVC housing so to test only the surrounding temperature inside the PVC housing, I don't know if there's a huge difference in temperature from the PVC and the water surrounding it.

I was also thinking using a laser beam to read the temperature of the water in the sump.

Laser? You mean infrared sensor?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you do not have fast changing in the temperature - it will works well

If you will use a infrared sensor for the temperature in your sump - be sure that you make a black area on the sumps outer wall. Measure against that black area - you can´t use a reflecting surface if you use a infrared sensor. If you do - you will also read the reflecting infrared radiation from other sources. Very few people know this and wrong readings with these type of equipment is very common - as we say in Sweden - it is working days food :D

sincerely Lasse

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you will use a infrared sensor for the temperature in your sump - be sure that you make a black area on the sumps outer wall. Measure against that black area - you can´t use a reflecting surface if you use a infrared sensor. If you do - you will also read the reflecting infrared radiation from other sources. Very few people know this and wrong readings with these type of equipment is very common - as we say in Sweden - it is working days food :D

sincerely Lasse

With infrared I was thinking to put it on the top my sump and read to the bottom of the sump, something like this

--------------------------
IR SENSOR
|
|
\/

SUMP

Seeing from top to bottom

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sincerely Lasse
Yes. It's all about having a low emissivity surface to measure. The fact is there are no surfaces with perfect emissivity, making infrared temperature readings inherently inaccurate. It's still the best practice to use immersion probes.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With infrared I was thinking to put it on the top my sump and read to the bottom of the sump, something like this

IR SENSOR
|
|
\/

SUMP

Seeing from top to bottom
IMO - it will not give a correct reading - the water surface will reflect all IR radiation in the cabinet.

Sincerely Lasse

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It's all about having a low emissivity surface to measure. The fact is there are no surfaces with perfect emissivity, making infrared temperature readings inherently inaccurate. It's still the best practice to use immersion probes.

Thanks for the advice.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back