Stains on filter sock?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just opened up my bags of dirty filter socks to wash and some of them have some nasty stains on them - almost looks like rust.

Typically when I take out my dirty socks I put them in zip lock bags and then in a bucket. Once I start to run low on socks I take all the socks out of the individual bags and clean them. This is how I clean them -

1 - Wash with a hose to get as clean as possible
2 - Soak all the socks (about 40) in water and bleach over night in a brute garbage can
3 - stake out water bleach soak and wash with a hose and get any remaining gunk out.
4 - Into the washer in hot water and bleach with an extra rinse cycle.
5 - One additional wash cycle (no bleach) in cold water with an extra rinse cycle.

The only thing I can think of is possibly the socks sat in the bags too long and all of the gunk caused a massive ammonia spike and it stained the socks? It’s not on all the socks just a few. They did sit for a while in their bags and in the heat if the summer as well. Some of the other socks are a little off color but nothing that worries me.

Anyone experience anything like this or have any ideas?

Here is the worst of the 4 that have the stains

67F6F00A-D008-4B3B-8AC9-677E30DE9021.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak my socks in bleach for a couple of days And then machine wash. Would give that a try and see if the stains come out. Regular bleach ONLY. Nothing scented or splash proof.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I soak my socks in bleach for a couple of days And then machine wash. Would give that a try and see if the stains come out. Regular bleach ONLY. Nothing scented or splash proof.
I do use regular bleach - nothing scented, etc. I’d probably have to soak them in 100% bleach to make a difference at this point. They where stained like that when I took them out of the bags and nothing made a difference- they didn’t even lighten up. I won’t use them again - just really trying to figure out what caused it?

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think moving forward when I take them out of the sump I’ll rinse them to get them somewhat clean then maybe let them dry and then store them so that once I have enough of them dirty I’ll then do my normal cleaning. Just can’t figure out what caused it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Soak overnite in bleach then machine wash on long cycle- Cold water only- no soaps, etc

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always and I thought about that but wouldn’t it be in all my socks? Also when I first start the GFO I have the output from my reactor going into filter floss. Though if it is from GFO it would stain it and it likely wouldn’t come out.
Do you rinse out your socks before bleaching? Some might have been more thoroughly cleaned than others...

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you rinse out your socks before bleaching? Some might have been more thoroughly cleaned than others...
Yes I do. But I think I need to rinse them right when I take them out of the sump. I usually take them out and through them in a zip lock and clean them once I run low on clean socks.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do. But I think I need to rinse them right when I take them out of the sump. I usually take them out and through them in a zip lock and clean them once I run low on clean socks.
You may have found you answer!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back