Stalled or Cycled?

Rhaenys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I started my saltwater/reef journey on May 1st (one month ago).

I did some reading prior to my trips to our LFS and I know I still have a lot to learn before purchasing all my stuff on my first day.

I started my 50g tank with a piece of dry rock (around 6lbs), and dry gravel and turned on the filter the 2nd day.

As i've read more about cycling, I found out that live rock was a lot better so I went and grabbed 50+lbs of live rock and added them the same day.

I started testing my water using API Saltwater test kit after adding my rocks and didn't get ammonia until the day after I added a table shrimp (on a media bag).

But I didn't get to more than .5ppm of ammonia. I added FritzZyme Nitrifying Bacteria on the 9th day as i'm barely seeing nitrites and nitrates. (LFS asked me to buy it on my first day so figured i'd use it)

I added 10 Hermit and 5 Snail on my 2nd week when my ammonia turned yellowish somewhere around 0-0.25.

On Day 16 I added my first clownfish.

On 27th day I added my blue tang and another clown.

I've been getting 0-0.25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 20-40 Nitrates.

4 snails are still there (I can't find any traces of the 5th even the shell), hermits gone down to 8.

I don't see any algae either. Some of the live rocks used to have a very few green hair algae but they seemed to be cleaned up already.

I'm not sure if my cycling has stalled or is it complete? I barely see any movements on my water testing.

Here's a complete calendar of my tests:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I did some reading prior to my trips to our LFS and I know I still have a lot to learn before purchasing all my stuff on my first day.

I started my 50g tank with a piece of dry rock (around 6lbs), and dry gravel and turned on the filter the 2nd day.

As i've read more about cycling, I found out that live rock was a lot better so I went and grabbed 50+lbs of live rock and added them the same day.

I started testing my water using API Saltwater test kit after adding my rocks and didn't get ammonia until the day after I added a table shrimp (on a media bag).

But I didn't get to more than .5ppm of ammonia. I added FritzZyme Nitrifying Bacteria on the 9th day as i'm barely seeing nitrites and nitrates. (LFS asked me to buy it on my first day so figured i'd use it)

I added 10 Hermit and 5 Snail on my 2nd week when my ammonia turned yellowish somewhere around 0-0.25.

4 snails are still there (I can't find any traces of the 5th even the shell), hermits gone down to 8.

I don't see any algae either. Some of the live rocks used to have a very few green hair algae but they seemed to be cleaned up already.

I'm not sure if my cycling has stalled or is it complete? I barely see any movements on my water testing.

I assuming you’re using API TEST KITS
For the most you should be ready to go
Typically, it’s a 13-21 day process and ammonia is zero and nitrate holding at 10 or less
Don’t worry about nitrite
Feed sparingly and stock slowly the first few weeks

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like you bought some fully functional live rock. Welcome.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

doesn't much matter now. You have fish in it too soon in my humble opinion

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhaenys

the reason you are fine and have been this whole time: take all your ammonia readings and convert them to nh3 vs nh4 as they currently read (ammonia test kit instructions have a chart)

see how that ten times less figure is far less daunting? stocked reefs don't run at zero, they run where you're at, after nh3 conversion. cycles don't stall, that's a misnomer. the risk for your fish has nothing to do with cycling it's about disease control preps selected for or against that are in play now, such as fallow and or quarantine etc.
B

OP
OP
R

Rhaenys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your response. I feel relieved, knowing that I somehow rushed it. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back