Stalled tank cycle help. Marinepure

Acrochunks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on nearly 8 weeks of a cycle - reading low ammonia, ultra high nitrite, and zero nitrate.

I began the cycle with fritz turbo and fishless cycle. Tank initially had LR, added sand 2 weeks ago after watching a few Macna videos….

I’m on year 6 - was relatively successful in growing/fragging Acros in my old system. And then, got the dreaded aefw.

My old system is still running in the basement with the surviving corals. The sump has always been packed with LR and marinepure

question is simple - can I use my years old LR and marine pure bricks in the brand new system upstairs. Without worrying about Aefw eggs being transported to new system.?

thanks in advance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread

I wrote a big work thread for just this issue

I bet your cycle is done, long time ago, and the reason it seems not done has been addressed and fixed here for one straight year. Post tank pics (not the ammonia reading) and we will fix your tank rather quickly using updated cycling science.

post pics of the system you feel is stalled.

old cycling science wants you buying round, after round of replacement bottle bac for the false stall. new cycling science knows after Fritz you were cycled in three days relative to the degree of surface area about to be shown in pics but by not using seneye to measure ammonia there was no way to know you have been ready to roll all this time.

one day if we are lucky they’ll release an updated MACNA video on false cycles too. It’s not possible to just get lucky for twenty pages on naming a specific start date for every reef there. Old cycling science uses solely open-ended waits.

The next macna cycling video needs to discuss the complete timeliness of all reef cycles + the impact of non digital ammonia testing in the hobby

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know one new twist I’m hoping for to change up the pace of stuck cycle threads:

dual site umpiring on the same setup.

meaning, pick any additional reef forum on the internet and post your details there too, link that thread here and we dual track how the cycles are troubleshot. If I could pick any site to dual mode with it would be nano-reef.com general forum and reefcentral. Truly curious to see how they’d call the system ready or stalled alongside our mode.

OP
OP
Acrochunks

Acrochunks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread

I wrote a big work thread for just this issue

I bet your cycle is done, long time ago, and the reason it seems not done has been addressed and fixed here for one straight year. Post tank pics (not the ammonia reading) and we will fix your tank rather quickly using updated cycling science.

post pics of the system you feel is stalled.

old cycling science wants you buying round, after round of replacement bottle bac for the false stall. new cycling science knows after Fritz you were cycled in three days relative to the degree of surface area about to be shown in pics but by not using seneye to measure ammonia there was no way to know you have been ready to roll all this time.

one day if we are lucky they’ll release an updated MACNA video on false cycles too. It’s not possible to just get lucky for twenty pages on naming a specific start date for every reef there. Old cycling science uses solely open-ended waits.

The next macna cycling video needs to discuss the complete timeliness of all reef cycles + the impact of non digital ammonia testing in the hobby
Brandon - thank you for the detailed reply. This is fascinating stuff. Will post a pic when I get home - 220 Total sys volume. I did start with DRY new rock, but as stated used bottle bac/ammonia at the beginning.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. You will be able to keep the separation protocol you planned for sure

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
contrast reading material

that’s where bad cycle umpiring leads the hobby, what’s about to happen in Acrochunks big reef will be opposite in every tangible way.

that’s the worst most inaccurate cycling advise the person could receive, he will never be able to reef confidently now. Never. Will be buying retail offsets in flinch mode for the next four years plus new fish to replace dead ones.

even when we fix your reef and it runs clean and perfect every day they will still have him dosing full bottles of prime and bottle bac, daily, due to factoring nitrite and chemically souping the whole setup. We can read that thread above and see the losses and outcomes compared to what’s about to happen here, using updated cycling science.

** those dosers he’s adding cause false nitrite positives lol the poor guy is getting looped by his peers.

we instantly omit all nitrite tracking in updated cycling science, it’s gone, not present, for that reason and because of Randy’s article on nitrite written two decs ago.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What came before those cycle umps was the video from macna 2 yrs ago that warns about stuck cycles, falsely claiming that reef tank water doesn’t have transmissible cycling bacteria (which sets the impulse to buy bac in a bottle) and continuing this trained buying habit based on nitrite measurement (as seen above, nitrite factoring always leads to double and triple bottle bac purchases, old cycling science is after your cash)

Old cycling science harms the hobby in tangible ways, it never factors disease emergence trends for aquarists, nor misreads for major parameters nor cycling chart timelines for ammonia drops which are solid reliable as measured on seneye in bottle bac threads.

we are taking an opposite course in Acros reef and can easily follow up over the next several months to see performance of the cycle.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back