Stand build advice please

pbauec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on starting up my first tank this spring. Being married i need to ensure my wife approves of size, placement, look, etc. Right now the idea she likes the most is a 5-6' x 18 x 18 set up behind the couch with the stand built 6" deeper and a few feet wider to accommodate drinks, popcorn, remotes, pictures, trinkets etc. While I am fairly handy, I am no carpenter or engineer. I have some concerns about the significant weight of the tank not falling squarely on the frame. Should I avoid this placement? Are there any structural issues i should be worried about? Are there potential problems that, being a noob, I have completely ignored? I would welcome and appreciate all opinions and ideas because if this goes south its all my fault if the basement is flooded with fish and 100+ gallons.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of great templates out there. I'm sure someone will link you to one.

As far as the overhang, you will be fine if you plan for it accordingly. Just keep in mind that you want to distribute the load evenly. I have a overhang on mine and I recessed it into the stand. It looks awesome.

Before stain:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428168548.482120.jpg

Complete:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428168566.046560.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back