Stand Build for 100g 48x24x20

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a tank from SC aquariums which is 48Lx24(deep)x20(tall). i will be building my own stand but before i design it, does anyone know if i can get away with only doing 4 corners for the stand or do i need to do middle bracing as well if that makes sense? Basically, do i need to do that center bracing that i see on some stands or can i just leave a wide open front and only 4 corners?

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the business of building my stand also but my stand has to hold 2 90 gallon tanks so I ended up using 4x4, 2x4, and 2x8s I'm finding that I'm using a lot of metal hardware and a lot of lag bolts. Myself personally I am putting in the center beahm's just because that's a lot of water. Can't wait to see yours done. I will be starting to post the drawing up plans then they change plans and then started building it and change the plans. But I have been taking a lot of pictures to be posting as I go along.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use 3/4" plywood, and no center bracing needed.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact the manufacturer to see if your tank could be supported by the 4 corners. I have seen some tanks 180g plus 6ft long supported with cinder blocks just on the ends. So it depends on how the tank was made.
I just recently built a frame for my 180 build im doing with only the corners supoorted, but im going to skin it in half inch cabinet plywood to keep it stable. Also my top is 2x6 cuase its a 6ft tank.
Something good to know is a basic framing pine 2x4 at 8ft has a verticle strength around 680psi that number increases as you shorten the distance. Most stands are around 30in. less then half the 8ft height.
Depending on what you zkin with i would at least make your corners out of 2, 2x4s perpendicular to each other,to keep from bowing over the time. Glued and screwed together.
Aslo most DIYers tend to way overbuild.

20170428_192337.jpg

Last edited:

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro Maniac's picture is great, i built a stand very similar to that for my 4 foot long tank and it holds VERY well. I would highly recommend putting another (maybe 2) vertical pieces of wood in the back for more support in the middle.. and you can leave the front open. I have mine left open and it's still going strong. Acro Maniac's is actually better build than mine, looks more sturdy.

Also, i used 2x6's to be on the safe side... kind of heavier but hey, i'm gonna be holding over a thousand pounds of water so yea, better safe than sorry.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back