Stand for 48 x 24 tank (110 gallons) - strong enough ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a custom aquarium built. The tank is 48 x 24 x 22 high. This is the stand, basically finished. Only painting left to do.

I’m not handy at all so I’m asking if it looks strong enough. I’m assuming it is, as these guys have built lots of these before but you never know.

Thanks !

1703958808853.jpeg

1703958837183.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You can check my build thread and see how the stand built for my 90g (works for 120) is framed out.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Ok, I will but can you tell me what I need to ask them to make is stronger (without having to redo it) ?
If having someone build it, tell them it needs to be able to support over 1000lbs without sagging. Mine was all built using 2x4s. Each corner has 3 of them supporting along with cross braces throughout. The one you have pictured looks to just be plywood or particle board.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a YouTube short showing what it should look like to support the weight.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If having someone build it, tell them it needs to be able to support over 1000lbs without sagging. Mine was all built using 2x4s. Each corner has 3 of them supporting along with cross braces throughout. The one you have pictured looks to just be plywood or particle board.
Well, they know how much the aquarium is going to weigh. They’re the ones building it. That’s the stand they usually sell with their tanks.

If you’re saying it’s not strong enough, then I’m worried.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they know how much the aquarium is going to weigh. They’re the ones building it. That’s the stand they usually sell with their tanks.

If you’re saying it’s not strong enough, then I’m worried.
With just the plywood I feel like pushing it over would be simple.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m worried about too.

Can they just add 2x4 or do they have to start over ?
Hard to tell what they have going on but I don't see how that will work without starting over. Could always bring 15 bags of cement and give it a kick when you pick it up lol.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jekyl I’ve sent them your picture and the above video and I’ve asked for a similar built, with 2 x 4’s.

Hoping they don’t turn me down…
Unless they were hiding a metal frame underneath somehow I just don't see how it would work. Any dip, flex or sag will cause a tank failure over time. Also should have some 3/4 on top with the screws sunk deep enough that they won't push into the tank over time.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 am I wrong here? Ever seen a stand like this for over 100g?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see it as supportive
A brace for anti sway would be a good consideration

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen other tank builders use just plywood on their stands but they use way more vertical braces. Plywood can be deceptively strong if proper hardware and glue joints are used. The sides here essentially have 2- 2x6 as supports but I’m curious what the underside of the shelves look like.

Check out Glass Cages website for reference.

If this is a custom tank builder I should think they know what they’re doing but I wouldn’t be accepting that if it were my tank. Nothing in the front corners to support the long stretch.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had a bad feeling when I saw the pictures but now there is no way this is coming into my living room. I’d rather just cancel the whole thing, tank and all.

Let’s wait to hear what they say.
I see it as supportive
A brace for anti sway would be a good consideration

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a custom tank builder I should think they know what they’re doing but I wouldn’t be accepting that if it were my tank. Nothing in the front corners to support the long stretch.
You’re right. I’m not accepting it either. I would never be able to sleep at night.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right. I’m not accepting it either. I would never be able to sleep at night.

See my post edit. I would at least come to them with concern vs implying they under built it. If that’s marine grade plywood and fastened properly it COULD be adequate. Sure looks like skimping to save on materials though.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my post edit. I would at least come to them with concern vs implying they under built it. If that’s marine grade plywood and fastened properly it COULD be adequate. Sure looks like skimping to save on materials though.
I’m paying 899$ CAD for this… It was supposed to be made of cherry wood by a professional cabinet maker.

This is far from it so I feel okay asking for what I want.
edit: Nevermind, gonna avoid feedback on pictures for this
Why, not sure I follow.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m paying 899$ CAD for this… It was supposed to be made of cherry wood by a professional cabinet maker.

This is far from it so I feel okay asking for what I want.

Why, not sure I follow.
Too many unknowns - tank type, tank required support, stand joint construction, how joints are made, how tank is supposed to sit on the tank, design load path from tank to floor, how panels are or aren’t connected, workmanship, and more.

After I wrote out my original post I reconsidered and felt there was insufficient information to either offer assurances or criticism of the system.

With regards to the material - ply can be more dimensionally stable than solid wood, so it’s not necessarily a deficiency in capacity, but also not what you ordered, unless there was a miscommunication between cherry and cherry veneer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back