Stand for 48 x 24 tank (110 gallons) - strong enough ?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope you arent getting cherry and then painting over it, thats an incredable waste of money.
Not having wood is my choice, as it wouldn’t fit in my house at all. I used to have lots of natural wood finish, but now have none at all, except for some of the floors.

I really wanted it white but I’m sure they would have done wood too if I had asked.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you !

There will be no canopy. I’ve had one a lot time ago and don’t care for them anymore.

The finish will be white, but not too shiny, to go with what I already have in my living room. :)
Nice! I never really liked the look of a canopy. Makes everything look too heavy. They do hide the lights, though. But seeing the lights doesn't really bother me. Heck, my sump is out in the open at one end of my stand! I I built the stand for a 55 gal Aqueon myself never thinking I would do a reef. Just fresh water. Didn't think I would ever want to put a sump under there! So next to it it goes! Works out ok, though.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having wood is my choice, as it wouldn’t fit in my house at all. I used to have lots of wood, but now have none at all, except for some of the floors.

I really wanted it white but I’m sure they would have done wood too if I had asked.
Oh sorry Im not questioning the painted or a natural wood look. I'm just saying I hope they didn't make you pay for cherry to just to paint over it. Poplar or even hard maple is half the price and that is typically used for paint finishes. The example picture you sent looks very nice.

Last edited:

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I LOVE Mission and Roycroft though!
Same. I don't envy the craftsmen who had to do that lol. Very talented. Quarter Sawn White Oak is one of my favorites and what we used for our kitchen cabinets that I built. Absolute murder on my tools, even my power tools.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at it again, all of the weight is on the fasteners. Cancel your charge on your credit card. I wouldn't put a 40g on this thing!
I initially thought the same. But there are supports inside the cabinet transferring the load off of the fasteners.
I hope it’s 3/4 but to me it looks like 1/2.
Using the paint roller for scale, plus the number of plys, I’d bet money it’s 3/4”.

Take a breath and relax - you’re overthinking it.
That cabinet will be plenty strong.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially thought the same. But there are supports inside the cabinet transferring the load off of the fasteners.

Using the paint roller for scale, plus the number of plys, I’d bet money it’s 3/4”.

Take a breath and relax - you’re overthinking it.
That cabinet will be plenty strong.
Exactly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back