Stand for 48 x 24 tank (110 gallons) - strong enough ?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the stand that the tank builder, built for the tank. Then it seems like they would know, since if you buy it, bring it home, set it up, and it falls over and smashes..they gotta give you a new 1. That being said, it looks like 3/4" Cabinet grade plywood, that stuff is strong when built and glued properly. I think it could support the vertical up and down weight. My concern is that style construction is not very strong side to side, it can Rack very easily with 900 pounds sitting on the top. But if you look at like the Red Sea Stands I think they are very similar construction with fancy plywood with glued/mortised joints. I don't believe they have a skeleton but I could be wrong.
I hope it’s 3/4 but to me it looks like 1/2.

These guys are coming to my house and delivering the tank and stand. They’re setting up the stand and tank, hooking everything up, testing it and doing the tank transfer (75 gallons into 110 gallons).

This is a turnkey project.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These guys are coming to my house and delivering the tank and stand. They’re setting up the stand and tank, hooking everything up, testing it and doing the tank transfer (75 gallons into 110 gallons).

If this is a reputable company with products out there, they are not going to take the risk of having a stand collapse. Can't really see to much in the pictures. Can't tell what's under the top, or the base. There are a lot of plywood stands around. Plywood is plenty strong. I wouldn't be so quick to panic or jump to conclusions. And actually, under $1000, especially CA, sounds pretty reasonable. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a reputable company with products out there, they are not going to take the risk of having a stand collapse. Can't really see to much in the pictures. Can't tell what's under the top, or the base. There are a lot of plywood stands around. Plywood is plenty strong. I wouldn't be so quick to panic or jump to conclusions. And actually, under $1000, especially CA, sounds pretty reasonable. Just my 2 cents.
Ha Ha Ha ! You win the « favorite answer » award. It’s calming me down a bit. I love it. Thank you !

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm an experienced cabinet maker so I can offer some advice here -

There's nothing structurally wrong with how they did this. That looks like 3/4" ply btw, not 1/2". You can tell by the number and thickness of the ply layers. 3/4" plywood is incredibly strong. They doubled up the plywood on the base so that the vertical plywood members are transferring the load directly to the floor. They aren't relying on any fasteners to carry the load. While it sounds heavy, a 48x24 110 gallon tank isn't that heavy. You should see some of the double oven units and countertops we have on our kitchen cabinet installs, and those are with 1/2" carcasses.

That being said, If I were charging someone $900 for a stand, they would get better quality than that. A sheet of 3/4 baltic birch at our home depot is $80 and even a cabinet grade A1 3/4" is $120 from my plywood supplier. For $900 the least they could do is edge band it and hide the fasteners.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know what this meant and thought it was a typo, but the stand is built with mortise and tenon. I suppose it makes it a little stronger at least ?

Is there a face frame on this stand? Im assuming the face frame is mortise and tenon? Not the plywood carcass, that would be an interesting way of doing it lol

Edit - I read through some of the previous posts and it looks like you mentioned cherry. So they have a 3/4" Baltic Birch carcass with a cherry face frame(assuming 3/4" thick, thats typical)? In that case yes I can see this easily being $900.

Last edited:

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 125 gal 48x30 foot print on a stand build this same way except in the front there a was support where the doors closed in the center. And it a piano white laminate over the out side. I loved it because it allowed allot of space. There was no wiggle to the stand at all. If the back panel is two sheets where the top sits on one of them and a center brace goes in the front I would use it. JMO though.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm an experienced cabinet maker so I can offer some advice here -

There's nothing structurally wrong with how they did this. That looks like 3/4" ply btw, not 1/2". You can tell by the number and thickness of the ply layers. 3/4" plywood is incredibly strong. They doubled up the plywood on the base so that the vertical plywood members are transferring the load directly to the floor. They aren't relying on any fasteners to carry the load. While it sounds heavy, a 48x24 110 gallon tank isn't that heavy. You should see some of the double oven units and countertops we have on our kitchen cabinet installs, and those are with 1/2" carcasses.

That being said, If I were charging someone $900 for a stand, they would get better quality than that. A sheet of 3/4 baltic birch at our home depot is $80 and even a cabinet grade A1 3/4" is $120 from my plywood supplier. For $900 the least they could do is edge band it and hide the fasteners.
Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it.

I’ve seen examples of their finished product and it looks really good. You can’t tell it’s birch. So hopefully mine looks good too.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a face frame on this stand? Im assuming the face frame is mortise and tenon? Not the plywood carcass, that would be an interesting way of doing it lol
There will be doors if that’s what you mean.

I have no idea what is mortise and tenon or not. I didn’t even know those words existed 2 minutes ago, lol !

They just said the stand was assembled in mortise and tenon by an expensive professional cabinet maker.

I had a 125 gal 48x30 foot print on a stand build this same way except in the front there a was support where the doors closed in the center. And it a piano white laminate over the out side. I loved it because it allowed allot of space. There was no wiggle to the stand at all. If the back panel is two sheets where the top sits on one of them and a center brace goes in the front I would use it. JMO though.
For sure there is no vertical center brace. No room for it.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From the photos it looks more like 3/4”, maybe the photos are deceptive but I’d be surprised if they were only 1/2” or similar. Plywood is a lot stronger than you’d think, especially where they have it doubled up.

I also think there’s not enough information to know whether the load is through fasteners, or if they are what the capacity of them are, or if more robust bearing joints are used. You’d have to talk to them about this.

Given they apparently sell aquariums and set these up I’d be surprised they don’t have a decent idea what they’re doing - this doesn’t seem like some random diy enthusiast who isn’t aware of all the requirements of the assignment.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be doors if that’s what you mean.

I have no idea what is mortise and tenon or not. I didn’t even know those words existed 2 minutes ago, lol !

They just said the stand was assembled in mortise and tenon by an expensive professional cabinet maker.
Do you have an image of what you are supposed to be getting?

Putting the pieces of the puzzle together, it sounds like you are getting a standard cabinet construction that has been reinforced for additional weight. Baltic Birch ply carcass, with a cherry mortise and tenon joinery face frame and doors.

Those vertical supports are exactly what we do when we are supporting heavy items like ovens and soapstone sinks.

Also there's no way they are using mortise and tenon joinery with plywood, especially on these types of joints.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think there’s not enough information to know whether the load is through fasteners, or if they are what the capacity of them are, or if more robust bearing joints are used. You’d have to talk to them about this.
I agree. I'm going on the assumption that they did the same thing to the top that they did on the base. Doubled up the plywood so there is a continuous load.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an image of what you are supposed to be getting?

Putting the pieces of the puzzle together, it sounds like you are getting a standard cabinet construction that has been reinforced for additional weight. Baltic Birch ply carcass, with a cherry mortise and tenon joinery face frame and doors.

Those vertical supports are exactly what we do when we are supporting heavy items like ovens and soapstone sinks.

Also there's no way they are using mortise and tenon joinery with plywood, especially on these types of joints.
Here is an example of one of their build for what it should look like on the outside.

So you’re saying they are lying about using mortice and tenon for the build ?

1703986416313.jpeg

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an example of one of their build for what it should look like on the outside.

1703986416313.jpeg
That looks pretty nice! I don't really care for the canopy, but that's totally MY taste. Are you getting cherry doors? Are you getting the canopy? THAT would be mire my taste. I love clear finished cherry.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty nice! I don't really care for the canopy, but that's totally MY taste. Are you getting cherry doors? Are you getting the canopy? THAT would be mire my taste. I love clear finished cherry.
Thank you !

There will be no canopy. I’ve had one a lot time ago and don’t care for them anymore.

The finish will be white, but not too shiny, to go with what I already have in my living room. :)

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1703986416313.jpeg
I mean its easy for me to sit behind and computer and critique their work lol. This picture is confusing me even more now as to what you are getting lol. I would hope you arent getting cherry and then painting over it, thats an incredable waste of money.

Not to get all technical about this, but a mortise and tenon joint is a joinery method to join two perpendicular pieces of wood. You are using the strength of the wood grain direction to your advantage. You are also getting a better glue joint since you aren't gluing on end grain. With plywood you don't have these issues since you have layers in alternating directions (that's what makes it so strong). Its not a technique typically used in cabinet carcass construction, especially in the style you show above. It was very common for face frame and door construction. Its an extremely strong joint, but is the most labor intensive so its been phased out for more modern construction methods.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes cherry with a clear finish is beautiful. It might be my favorite for cabinetry and furniture. Very easy to work with as well, unlike oak...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back