Stand for 48 x 24 tank (110 gallons) - strong enough ?

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost identical to my red sea 525L stand, the tank is fine 4 years in no issues. On another note they have made changes from wood to aluminum on the larger tanks and If I were designing the stand that would not be it.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They replied and they’re not going to change anything. They say it has been made with russian cherrywood by their expensive professional cabinet maker and that they fully trust this build.

edit: Nevermind, gonna avoid feedback on pictures for this
Here is the blueprint. What is your opinion of it now ?
@Jekyl @vetteguy53081 ?

1703967612598.jpeg

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They replied and they’re not going to change anything. They say it has been made with russian cherrywood by their expensive professional cabinet maker and that they fully trust this build.

Here is the blueprint. What is your opinion of it now ?
@Jekyl @vetteguy53081 ?

1703967612598.jpeg
Without making any comment on soundness or the overall design two things:

1. It might be the pictures, but they differ a little from the blueprint- the doubled up pieces at the front are shown at the end of the panels in the blueprint but look about 6” back in the photos. No comment on if this impacts capacity, just noting what looks like a deviation. They may or may not have a reason for it. Ask.

2. If you ordered this with the blueprint or some similar illustration of the product they’re making I’d be surprised if they let you just walk here. If you order to a blueprint and they deliver to the blueprint they’re gonna expect to not find themselves out several hundred dollars because you don’t like the product per the blueprint. If this is the case you might want to work with them to find a way to alleviate concerns you might have rather than try back out of the sale.

Not that there are a bunch of folks here with plywood stands - even for largish tanks. Try searching in the DIY forum to see the sorts of designs people have carrying these things.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be the pictures, but they differ a little from the blueprint- the doubled up pieces at the front are shown at the end of the panels in the blueprint but look about 6” back in the photos. No comment on if this impacts capacity, just noting what looks like a deviation. They may or may not have a reason for it. Ask.
Thanks, I will ask.

If you ordered this with the blueprint or some similar illustration of the product they’re making I’d be surprised if they let you just walk here. If you order to a blueprint and they deliver to the blueprint they’re gonna expect to not find themselves out several hundred dollars because you don’t like the product per the blueprint. If this is the case you might want to work with them to find a way to alleviate concerns you might have rather than try back out of the sale
I now realize I was an idiot. I saw the blueprint but wasn’t comfortable understanding it and did not ask any questions. I should have posted it here many weeks ago, before it was build.

Of course now they’re not going to do anything for free. Especially that the first one they made wasn’t waterproof and they had to start over…

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will ask.

I now realize I was an idiot. I saw the blueprint but wasn’t comfortable understanding it and did not ask any questions. I should have posted it here many weeks ago, before it was build.

Of course now they’re not going to do anything for free. Especially that the first one they made wasn’t waterproof and they had to start over…
Does the stand come with a warranty or weight load spec?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I have no idea; I will ask.

Right now I am so p… at myself. Not in a good place at all.
:-(
We may be worrying for nothing. Let glass Cages respond before getting too upset.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is 3/4” hardwood ply I would not be that worried about it . Ply can actually be stronger than 2x4 due to grains and less likely to torque .. If it is 1/2” then maybe I would be worried .. you should check out the Reef Builders stand they made very similar to this ..

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is 3/4” hardwood ply I would not be that worried about it . Ply can actually be stronger than 2x4 due to grains and less likely to torque .. If it is 1/2” then maybe I would be worried
Have you seen the blueprint ? To me it looks like 1/2 on it. It’s baltic birch, not plywood. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

you should check out the Reef Builders stand they made very similar to this ..
Would you have a link or can you tell me where to look ?

Thanks !

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds crazy but if you’re at the point of no return, perhaps this would make a nice stand for someone in your area that’s setting up a shallow frag tank? Recoup some funds to use towards a more robust build you feel comfortable?

$900 is a lot of money but sleeping well is worth more.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the blueprint ? To me it looks like 1/2 on it. It’s baltic birch, not plywood. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

Would you have a link or can you tell me where to look ?

Thanks !

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The cost of Baltic Birch is absolutely ridiculous these days. It's my favorite plywood to use. I would only use it as a skin for a Saltwater tank. You will need to frame this in with with 2x4s on the two ends as well as in the middle of the 48" runs. You will also need to coat the inside with marine grade paint if you want it to last. I'd also do the outside, however a stain and several topcoats (i'd do 5) would work if you kept it clean. This dude ripped you off! He is a craftsman, not a structural engineer and he obviously can't even read a print.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds crazy but if you’re at the point of no return, perhaps this would make a nice stand for someone in your area that’s setting up a shallow frag tank? Recoup some funds to use towards a more robust build you feel comfortable?

$900 is a lot of money but sleeping well is worth more.
It’s not crazy but this while project is costing a ton of money and I don’t have 900$ to spare.

Since it’s a model they sell at the store, I feel they should be able to sell it to another customer. And charge me for the time, but not the material. I doubt they’d be willing to do it though so I guess I’m stuck.

I’ve been working on this project for months with these guys and I made so many changes to their existing set-up. I made sure every little detail was done exactly how I wanted it on the tank and sump. But not the stand. I foolishly thought it would be okay as it was.

I was mad earlier and willing to lose all my money but I’ve came back to my senses and I now want to do all I can to make it work.

MaineReefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the stand that the tank builder, built for the tank. Then it seems like they would know, since if you buy it, bring it home, set it up, and it falls over and smashes..they gotta give you a new 1. That being said, it looks like 3/4" Cabinet grade plywood, that stuff is strong when built and glued properly. I think it could support the vertical up and down weight. My concern is that style construction is not very strong side to side, it can Rack very easily with 900 pounds sitting on the top. But if you look at like the Red Sea Stands I think they are very similar construction with fancy plywood with glued/mortised joints. I don't believe they have a skeleton but I could be wrong.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you could add some nice solid cherry supports to the corners for piece of mind. But that of course takes tools and experience.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After looking at it again, all of the weight is on the fasteners. Cancel your charge on your credit card. I wouldn't put a 40g on this thing!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd cut into that bottom and take 2x4s or better yet 2x6s and make sure all the weight is on them. This dude sold you a skin. I'd make one of the side panels removable so that I could slide the sump in and out. 20 bucks says he used pocket holes...
youdoodle-2023-12-30T19-35-58Z.jpg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you could add some nice solid cherry supports to the corners for piece of mind. But that of course takes tools and experience.
I don’t have any tools and no experience.

Where would you add the supports ? There are already 2 think pieces of birch on each side.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back