OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your tank? In my opinion shorter tanks (under 4ft) look funny on tall stands.. it looks like more stand than tank..

My 120gl (48in long) was on a 36in high stand and that was about as high as i would go. My 180gl (72in long) is on a 40 in stand.

It's a 3' tank. And you make a good point. We are actually considering painting the stand the same color as the wall to showcase the tank itself more.

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 3' tank. And you make a good point. We are actually considering painting the stand the same color as the wall to showcase the tank itself more.
So here is a picture of my old 120gl on a 36in stand when I first got it just to give you an idea. It looks kind of stubby in my opinion..... But, also take into account the viewing height when you will be looking at it most often. If the tank is going to be next to the couch where you are doing most of the viewing while sitting, you can get away with a much shorter height. If it will be viewed most often while standing there is no way id go with much less than 36in.

Attachments

• IMG_5039.jpg
    IMG_5039.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a picture of my old 120gl on a 36in stand when I first got it just to give you an idea. It looks kind of stubby in my opinion..... But, also take into account the viewing height when you will be looking at it most often. If the tank is going to be next to the couch where you are doing most of the viewing while sitting, you can get away with a much shorter height. If it will be viewed most often while standing there is no way id go with much less than 36in.

Thanks! Yeah, it will be viewed while standing. Bending over to look at it isn't appealing.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one 90-gal 4' tank that's a see-through with primarily walk-around traffic. 38" is great, I wouldn't want it over 40"
Another 215-gal 6' peninsula tank has a 36" stand, which I feel is a perfect balance between sit-down and walk-around viewing.
A smaller 28-gal in my bedroom is on a 30" stand and I definitely would not want it any taller. I totally agree that tall stands on small footprint tanks looks very odd.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a personal preference. I am impatiently waiting on a tank 72" long x 19" tall. My stand is on casters and I wanted ample height in the cabinet for the sump and RO, ATO, etc. Taking all of that into consideration and planning for seated and standing viewpoints .. we are going to come in between 38.5 - 39" depending on the final adjustments to the leveling casters. I could have lowered it to make cleaning easier but I did not want to bend over every time I wanted to look into the tank.

OP
OP
JCM

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on standing/walking around only viewing, I would recommend no less than 36" and no more than 42".

Thank you. I definitely won't be going less than 36". Looking at a tape outline on the wall, 42"-46" is what looks right, but I understand the idea of a short tank looking odd on a tall stand. The tank looking like a piece of furniture in our house is a top priority.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I definitely won't be going less than 36". Looking at a tape outline on the wall, 42"-46" is what looks right, but I understand the idea of a short tank looking odd on a tall stand. The tank looking like a piece of furniture in our house is a top priority.
I definitely get that. My ceilings are 9' with some trey sections and vaulted too. 30-32" stands look like kids furniture in my house.
Remember that most of the activity in your tank will occur in the lower 2/3 of the tank height.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to have the top rim of the tank at mid chest level. Makes husbandry easier and aesthetically looks ‘right’ to me. As noted, 21” tall tank might look a bit odd on a 42” stand.

I wouldn’t personally worry about an extra 6” of head on the return pump. It will make a difference, of course, but unlikely to be material unless your pump is really wimpy. Then you could always just raise the sump LOL.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently in the process in my build, and mines a 180 gallon. I built my own stand for it and I have it at 40 inches. Granted my tank is two feet deep so that height is evenly dispersed, but if it’s a thin tank you definitely need to be aware of top heaviness. I’m six foot tall so it’s perfectly sue level for me, and I don’t mind using a step ladder to get access to the bottom of the tank.
D438217B-6A6C-4640-836C-DA343F24659E.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think your math is right there. I do agree with your point though. Regardless of stand height or return pump choice, I will have 3-5x turnover through the sump per hour. And even 6" of extra head loss can make a big difference.

1500 gallon tank with a pump at 1000 GPH would take 90 minutes to do 1 complete turnover; wouldn't it?

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is about 30 inches high. I wanted it so I could sit on the couch beside it and look in at it. Also, I have some mobility and balance issues; I wanted a set up that I could easily maintain (no ladders, or bending at weird angles or hanging upside down, etc, that I do with my standard height fresh water tank).

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 36" and it's perfect. Unless you are over 6' it's going to be fun getting wet.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but that .67x turnover per hour.
Yes. I stand corrected. Using a ratio, it is 66.666%

Serves me right for doing the math in my head.

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall does everyone prefer their stands? I'm about to start building one for our new tank. We taped it off on the wall and feel 42" looks best in the room and for viewing. This is taller than most I see, am I overlooking any downsides? Obviously reaching the bottom/cleaning will be more difficult but I'll need a step stool either way.
Mine is over 40” I love it

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build the stand how you and your family wants it. Nobody here is going to have to live with it. I built mine about 42". I would not let head height for you return pump be a deciding factor in your stand height.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back