Stand question

Aquatic Reef Creations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gang,
Recently move from South Florida to Bellevue. Getting ready to set up the tank and I noticed this situation. The stand is touching on the ends but it is gapped in the middle. Tank/stand is level all the way around. I have always had this on slab floor so never had an issue with it. Went under the crawl space and plenty of support under where the tank is. Any thoughts? I don't want to put stress on the tank. It is a 6 foot 150 gallon tank. Does it need to be shimmer or will it level out with the weight of the tank?
Any help would be appreciated.

20170101_161028.jpg

20170101_161004.jpg

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might try styrofoam under tank . Just noticed that's the stand an floor but styrofoam might still work won't hurt to try but it full length of stand

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the rigidity/strength of the stand...

If the gap were just a few inches, it might not really be an issue. But that looks like it spans most of the length of the stand.

That said, if the stand has an incredibly strong and stiff frame, it will bear the weight of the full tank without sagging and distribute the load to the floor via the portions of the base that are touching the floor.

If it isn't incredibly strong and stiff, then what you are concerned about - sagging and potential stress on the tank - will likely happen.

Can't tell much about the stand from the pics, but unless it is an old-school, high quality, pro-built cabinet made with really good hardwood, then odds are it is not 'incredibly strong and stiff' enough.

You also don't mention if the tank itself is framed or rimless.

For that volume of water, if it's rimless I would definitely put some shims in the gap. If the tank is framed then it's your call on how strong you think the tank frame and stand are ... but if it were me I'd still put shims in the gap.

Bottom line: I would shim it.

What ever you do though, it's best to decide now - because it will be much easier to shim while the tank is empty than trying do so after the fact.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look an see if there's a floor joint sagging under floor there could try raising it

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MAybe put some water/weight in the tank & check for leveland see if there is still the gap.If so, shim it .

OP
OP
Aquatic Reef Creations

Aquatic Reef Creations

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is not rimless. I did get in the crawlspace and cannot see an issues with the support beams. The stand was custom made for the tank, not press board. I have checked the tank for being level and it is level all the way around. Will shimming just the front be an issue? I can't see the back to determine if there is a gap there. Thanks guys for the input.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would shim it. Or you can use some things high density foam. This way you would get the support and would not risk scratching the floor.

Back