Stand safe for aquarium weight?

dimstamat

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Location
Boston
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends!
I recently bought a marineland 180g tank with stand and I noticed that some corners have a 1mm gap. It got a bit wet in the back of the truck when I brought it home. Do you think I should consider reinforcing the stand?
Thanks,
Dimos

IMG_8709.jpg IMG_8710.jpg IMG_8711.jpg IMG_8712.jpg IMG_8713.jpg
 
If the screws and glue are intact, you should be fine. However, in your position I’d definitely reinforce it because I can’t accept any risk :grinning-squinting-face:
 
A 180g full is say almost 2,000 lbs.

The stand must have no flex and reinforcement is a great idea.

My frame for my 180g is aluminum.

A weak stand can contribute to seam and glass failures.
 
I think that most of those are only held together with brad nails. You can add a few more if you want.

The stand relies on the weight/gravity to hold everything together.
 
I'd tightened it up with screws.

Those side walls look like particle board. I used to have a similar style stand for a 65 gallon. It was solid wood vertical boards with plywood in spots. I still reinforced the top and bottom corners with 90 degree metal brackets.

I also had an old O'Dell stand for a 120 gallon. ALL particle board. I had it reinforced in places with 2x4s.... surprised it held for 20 years. Some of the particle uprights were rotten through.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new