X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the sock holder... :cool:
great idea ,quick fix, temp, never thought of , zip ties and rubber bands here in a pinch
Yes the 7" standard sock holder takes up to much room. The bungee is here to stay.
I use one on my 45 frag system too.
Also much easier to change the sock.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated pic of the sump.
New carx I retrofitted out of a Skimz reactor and my upgraded Tunze 9430dc skimmer, and new lifegaurd media reactor.
I guess you could call that fine tuning, lol.

20211119_201113.jpg
Haha, some DIY fine tuning. The reason why I say all reefs need fine tuning is because some elements get taken up so quickly and either fall out of range or become depleted. That’s not to say that the reef is going to crash or STN, but this will definitely slow growth a lot of the time.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, some DIY fine tuning. The reason why I say all reefs need fine tuning is because some elements get taken up so quickly and either fall out of range or become depleted. That’s not to say that the reef is going to crash or STN, but this will definitely slow growth a lot of the time.
Yea makes sense.
I am fine tuning my po4 by using the 30g remote fuge to eliminate po4 reducing media. It is working already but needs time to be fully utilized properly.

I have never really seen a slowdown of growth even when doing no WC for 18 months.

I chose the DSR EZ trace because it had worked so well for Glenn's EZ systems without having to test everything.

So far its been working very well.
I only dose 8ml in my 120 and 4ml in my 45 daily.
This keeps mag at 1350 and K at 410.

I also dose EZ carbon but only in my 120 at 4ml a day now. It feeds the macro and the corals with no impact on no3 or po4.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea makes sense.
I am fine tuning my po4 by using the 30g remote fuge to eliminate po4 reducing media. It is working already but needs time to be fully utilized properly.

I have never really seen a slowdown of growth even when doing no WC for 18 months.

I chose the DSR EZ trace because it had worked so well for Glenn's EZ systems without having to test everything.

So far its been working very well.
I only dose 8ml in my 120 and 4ml in my 45 daily.
This keeps mag at 1350 and K at 410.

I also dose EZ carbon but only in my 120 at 4ml a day now. It feeds the macro and the corals with no impact on no3 or po4.
I dose 6 daily elements (Iodide, Manganese, Cobalt, Chromium, Iron, & Vanadium) to ensure small amounts of these traces are continuously available for the best stability. These are only dosed if not detected on the ICP analysis. Iodine is an element that is very complex but also very important to dose. If you dose it weekly it usually leads to overdosing and bleaching. So dosing daily is the way to go.

It’s more work, but it just depends on how much color, growth, and polyp extension you want. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 6 daily elements (Iodide, Manganese, Cobalt, Chromium, Iron, & Vanadium) to ensure small amounts of these traces are continuously available for the best stability. These are only dosed if not detected on the ICP analysis. Iodine is an element that is very complex but also very important to dose. If you dose it weekly it usually leads to overdosing and bleaching. So dosing daily is the way to go.

It’s more work, but it just depends on how much color, growth, and polyp extension you want. ;Hilarious
Do you dose each seperatly?
My iodine is dosed daily with EZ trace.
Iron is dosed daily in my EZ carbon. EZ carbon is a mix of vinegar, sugar, and iron.

Your post on ICP analysis was a great reminder. I looked back in my paper log and I was going to send out for one a year ago. The tank has been doing so well I just forgot, lol. Thanks!
I just purchased one and it will be interesting to see the results.
My tank will be 2.5 years old next week. I will test all parameters the day I send it out. I plan on the week after christmas.
I will post the resutls back here.

I have good growth, color, and polyp exstention to date.

I do not plan on changing or adding anything no matter what the results are. However,it will be nice to have a reference point of all parameters at this point in my system.
From my point of view if any trace elements are low they may not be needed in my system if they are minor ones.
This is what Glenn Fong had determined when developing the EZ formulations.
Polyp extention on a wild stag.
20210803_161531.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose each seperatly?
My iodine is dosed daily with EZ trace.
Iron is dosed daily in my EZ carbon. EZ carbon is a mix of vinegar, sugar, and iron.

Your post on ICP analysis was a great reminder. I looked back in my paper log and I was going to send out for one a year ago. The tank has been doing so well I just forgot, lol. Thanks!
I just purchased one and it will be interesting to see the results.
My tank will be 2.5 years old next week. I will test all parameters the day I send it out. I plan on the week after christmas.
I will post the resutls back here.

I have good growth, color, and polyp exstention to date.

I do not plan on changing or adding anything no matter what the results are. However,it will be nice to have a reference point of all parameters at this point in my system.
From my point of view if any trace elements are low they may not be needed in my system if they are minor ones.
This is what Glenn Fong had determined when developing the EZ formulations.
Polyp extention on a wild stag.
20210803_161531.jpg
Your system is doing well, but trust me…it will only get better if you dial in the elements even tighter and I can promise you...some will be low or depleted. I see dozens of ICP tests in my group weekly with multiple forms of supplementation. My friend Andre has developed the best method IMO which allows you to keep your own dosing method via 2-part, CaRx, Balling, etc., and then dial in any low, depleted, or undetectable elements. Not only that, but also elevating elements for the most vibrant coloration. I’ve seen some nice tanks become amazing after being on the program. What most people don’t realize is that even the bacteria population needs a lot of these minor and trace elements to thrive. The microbiome as a whole will thrive. If you wanna find out how far your tank can really go…let me know. Let’s take a look at Andre’s tank with daylights on and you tell me what you think about the colors?
6CE34669-C7FC-4F39-81DD-F6C9E48B32C8.jpeg

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system is doing well, but trust me…it will only get better if you dial in the elements even tighter and I can promise you...some will be low or depleted. I see dozens of ICP tests in my group weekly with multiple forms of supplementation. My friend Andre has developed the best method IMO which allows you to keep your own dosing method via 2-part, CaRx, Balling, etc., and then dial in any low, depleted, or undetectable elements. Not only that, but also elevating elements for the most vibrant coloration. I’ve seen some nice tanks become amazing after being on the program. What most people don’t realize is that even the bacteria population needs a lot of these minor and trace elements to thrive. The microbiome as a whole will thrive. If you wanna find out how far your tank can really go…let me know. Let’s take a look at Andre’s tank with daylights on and you tell me what you think about the colors?
6CE34669-C7FC-4F39-81DD-F6C9E48B32C8.jpeg
Very nice system for sure.
I will post the results most likely after the first of the year. We can then talk about his method.
It will be interesting to see what my levels are and any comments for additional improvement.

Any info you have on his method would make good reading material until I get the results.
Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice system for sure.
I will post the results most likely after the first of the year. We can then talk about his method.
It will be interesting to see what my levels are and any comments for additional improvement.

Any info you have on his method would make good reading material until I get the results.
Thanks
Send me your Facebook name and I’ll invite you to our group. Trust me…you’ll never look back. I’ve ran all kinds of methods. From Triton Core 7, to Regular 2-part, to Red Sea Trace color program, to Calcium Reactor with trace’s, and you name it. Nothing comes close to this.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me your Facebook name and I’ll invite you to our group. Trust me…you’ll never look back. I’ve ran all kinds of methods. From Triton Core 7, to Regular 2-part, to Red Sea Trace color program, to Calcium Reactor with trace’s, and you name it. Nothing comes close to this.
Funny! I have never used or will use facebook. Any other way to read up on this?

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre- moonshiners. I did not put the two together. I have read some things on his method.
Have not found a way to read up on it with out Facebook.
Would still like to read about it but wont if its only on FB.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just downloaded the handbook and plan on reading it. Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny! I have never used or will use facebook. Any other way to read up on this?
I never had either. I hated Facebook. Took all my time. The 2x I’ve been on was to get back into the group. :) Hit me up when you’re ready.

See links in the description:

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, would you like to make a small wager on those ICP results? :)
Honestly, Im not very concerened with what the icp results are.
I read the handbook. It is very similar to Glenn Fongs full method which is why I chose the EZ method for my systems except I now do 10% WC's a month to remove what may buildup over time. It will replace some trace elements also.
I have had to remove several colonies as they were weeds in my system so growth is good.
I dont have most of the high end corals as they are not local.
I do have pretty good coloration from what locals tell me for running halides.
I suppose they could always be better but am now interested in what my icp test will show.
Here is my jedi mind trick with decent colors.
20211213_155911.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, Im not very concerened with what the icp results are.
I read the handbook. It is very similar to Glenn Fongs full method which is why I chose the EZ method for my systems except I now do 10% WC's a month to remove what may buildup over time. It will replace some trace elements also.
I have had to remove several colonies as they were weeds in my system so growth is good.
I dont have most of the high end corals as they are not local.
I do have pretty good coloration from what locals tell me for running halides.
I suppose they could always be better but am now interested in what my icp test will show.
Here is my jedi mind trick with decent colors.
20211213_155911.jpg
You gonna need a bigger tank. Fair warning. :)

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality of light Halides produce is amazing. They just get so hot!
My halides in lumen bright reflectors dont have much of an impact on tank temp. I do run a small fan in the sump to help but only in the summer.
I need a heater only in the winter to keep temps stable.

SpringFever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. And I appreciate your simple, pragmatic approach.

Did you super glue the frags on your back glass? I can't ever get them to stay stuck long enough to encrust. dang urchin knocks them off... Any tips?

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. And I appreciate your simple, pragmatic approach.

Did you super glue the frags on your back glass? I can't ever get them to stay stuck long enough to encrust. dang urchin knocks them off... Any tips?
Yes only 1 out of 4 encrusted enough to stay. The one on the top right is back in my frag tank.
I am putting another magnetic rock on the other side soon.
I made the one you see and just purchased a nice Tunze nano rock.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 81.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back