Standard solutions to test my test kits?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I order predetermined solutions for my parameters so I can test the accuracy of my test kits? I'd like to test Alkalinity, phosphate, nitrate and nitrate. Maybe calcium too.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a blend of Hannah, red sea, and salifert. I have both Hannah and red sea for and phosphate and Red sea says 0.01 and Hannah says 0.03. I don't know which one to believe. I think I trust the red sea more because there's less room for error.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna sells “standards“ solutions to check for calibration.

Two things:
1. .01 to .03… regardless of which is more accurate to your actual parameters, does the slight variance really matter… (no)?
2. I’d trust the digital checker over the faint shade of a readout you got from the Red Sea kit allll day any day.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's DIY alk standard here
You can purchase dry compounds like sodium nitrate from loudwolf and similar to make your own stock solutions. This works more than well enough to benchmark the performance of hobby kits.
Seachem ships a bottled standard with most of their kits, that one can use to check the functioning of the test kit.
Hach sells single parameter standards or multiparameter standard, like this one that has ammonia, nitrate, po4 and others all together.

The hanna "calibration" vials are merely colored liquids, they don't help you evaluate the performance of the chemistry, just the optical measurement.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a blend of Hannah, red sea, and salifert. I have both Hannah and red sea for and phosphate and Red sea says 0.01 and Hannah says 0.03. I don't know which one to believe. I think I trust the red sea more because there's less room for error.

FWIW, those values may both be correct within the uncertainty of the kits.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back