Stands

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the stand building phase. The stand is 60" long 24" wide and 27" high. I'm using 1 1/2 x 1/12 x 1/8" thick steel tubing. As I live in Panama central america I'm not sure about the concrete strength of the floor!!! So I guess my question is, how is the load calculated. Is the load figured by the square feet of the stand, which would be 10 square feet or only where the steel tubing hits the concrete or.???? Also i'm going to add 2 more cross braces both top and bottom. P.S. I copied this design from a pic. from the internet.

stand2.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how you could calculate that my friend.All I know is that 1 gallon of water weighs about 10 pounds.Your stand looks beautiful though,nice and professional.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a forum just for #reefsquad?

Nope, just have to use the hash tag where ever you are and we will come!

Some of the specialized questions like this are much more difficult to answer. I’m not sure if we have an engineer on the team that might be able to assist!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the stand building phase. The stand is 60" long 24" wide and 27" high. I'm using 1 1/2 x 1/12 x 1/8" thick steel tubing. As I live in Panama central america I'm not sure about the concrete strength of the floor!!! So I guess my question is, how is the load calculated. Is the load figured by the square feet of the stand, which would be 10 square feet or only where the steel tubing hits the concrete or.???? Also i'm going to add 2 more cross braces both top and bottom. P.S. I copied this design from a pic. from the internet.

stand2.jpg

I am also unfamiliar how to calculate load like this however, I can say if you only have certain points which the stand contacts the concrete floor, that would be a point load and you will have a significant weight on that one point.

Between concrete and a steel stand, I’d be more worried that if you had a uneven point load the water weight may cause the stand to warp. At what point, I am not sure. I’d be prepared to shim any low points in the concrete [emoji4]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This calculator might help you out link

Here is a calculator for your tank link

Hope this helps:)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I seen your post early this morning and started researching an answer but I got side tracked cleaning up storm damage from this mornings storm. I didn't want you to think I ignored you. It looks like you are getting the help you need. :)

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jsker but I don't speak chinese...... LOL. I'll try and contact a eng. here
Sorry, I seen your post early this morning and started researching an answer but I got side tracked cleaning up storm damage from this mornings storm. I didn't want you to think I ignored you. It looks like you are getting the help you need. :)
Yeah, the info is designed for a engineer, i'm just a guy with a HS education. It all looks like Chinese to me.....LOL Thanks for the reply. Hardest thing I had to do when I moved here to Panama was living my Harley behind!!!!!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-6-23_12-7-28.png

Perhaps this could help. According to your plan description you will have 306 square inches of contact between the bottom of your stand to the floor. The next big question is how much weight will the stand be holding. Then a simple equation of WEIGHT divided by 306 will equal how much weight per square inch the floor will be seeing directly under where the stand contacts the floor. This assumes the stand is flush with the floor. I don't know the quality of your cement floor but if I were to hazard a guess I would say you should be okay. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-6-23_12-7-28.png

Perhaps this could help. According to your plan description you will have 306 square inches of contact between the bottom of your stand to the floor. The next big question is how much weight will the stand be holding. Then a simple equation of WEIGHT divided by 306 will equal how much weight per square inch the floor will be seeing directly under where the stand contacts the floor. This assumes the stand is flush with the floor. I don't know the quality of your cement floor but if I were to hazard a guess I would say you should be okay. Good luck.
OK great info, I used an on line calculator to find out the weight of water, steel stand, glass it's right at 2600 lb's......so 2600 divided 306 comes to 8.5 lb's per sq. ". That doesn't sound like much!! If I was back home in Ft. Lauderdale Fl. it wouldn't even been concerned...... Thanks for the info, now i can go forward with ordering my glass and not lose any sleep, THANKS AGAIN REEFER

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of failure are you worried about? The compression strength of concrete is enough that you would never have to worry. It’s tensile strength that leads to concrete failure. I would be more worried about getting that stand level on uneven concrete.

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of failure are you worried about? The compression strength of concrete is enough that you would never have to worry. It’s tensile strength that leads to concrete failure. I would be more worried about getting that stand level on uneven concrete.
Because i live in a foreign country PANAMA and There is no written down building code like in the states

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because i live in a foreign country PANAMA and There is no written down building code like in the states
I realize that, but I’m trying to figure out what specifically you are worried about happening. If you’re worried about crushing/breaking the concrete under the weight of a tank, I wouldn’t worry.

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that, but I’m trying to figure out what specifically you are worried about happening. If you’re worried about crushing/breaking the concrete under the weight of a tank, I wouldn’t worry.
Thanks for the Info.....BUT.....I worry about all things that can cause me grief. And when I joined R2R a couple days ago they said "no question is stupid"

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Info.....BUT.....I worry about all things that can cause me grief. And when I joined R2R a couple days ago they said "no question is stupid"
I was in no way implying that it was a stupid question. You seemed concerned about the strength of the concrete. I’m simply saying that if you’re worried about the weight of the tank on the concrete, don’t. Concrete has incredible compression strength. Now if the concrete is unsupported underneath or something then it could be a different story. However, If your house is built on it, I’d say you have nothing to worry about. I’d rather have a 3-4” slab under mine than the osb floor joists I have.

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in no way implying that it was a stupid question. You seemed concerned about the strength of the concrete. I’m simply saying that if you’re worried about the weight of the tank on the concrete, don’t. Concrete has incredible compression strength. Now if the concrete is unsupported underneath or something then it could be a different story. However, If your house is built on it, I’d say you have nothing to worry about. I’d rather have a 3-4” slab under mine than the osb floor joists I have.
From what I have seen the interior walls of the houses are all built on a footer, like a stem wall, after all walls are up they come back and pour each room separate probably with wire mesh. Not sure if the slabs are connected to the walls with rebar. But at any rate reefer robot has solved my problem. So thanks for replying.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back