Star Fish dying

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? Honestly 0.5 ammonia might not seem like much but you really shouldnt have any detectable ammonia at any time. That's not likely to be what killed the fish though but possibly the starfish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am new to Reef tank.
My tank is 90 gallon and now 4 months old.
I have live rocks etc.
I keeps testing parameters always found Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5 ppm
PH - vary 7.8 to 8.0, i add ph buffer to increase to 8.2. but few told me to maintain 7.8 as it may increase more and could be reason for fishes dying.
Salinity - 1.020 - 1.021
Temperature - 28 to 30 degrees (in summer)

I have my long tentacle anemone, club anemones without issue from 45 th day.
First round of all fishes died in few days - including clown, damsels, gobi, linckia star, unicorn
Second round all fishes died in few days.

Third round all fishes are success since 2 weeks - chromies, gobi, clown, wrasse etc

But Star fish still not succeeded, this time max 5 days it died.

What could be the problem?

The parameters i keep testing on daily basis.
Only PH 7.8 usually and if i add PH buffer then moves to 8.2.
Temperature 28 to 30 degrees usually.

I need expert advise on this.
The salinity is too low for linkia as should be a minimum of 1.023-1.024 and temperature somewhat important. This is not a star for a beginner or in a tank that's not stable and should not be in a tank that contains snails, or certain hermit crabs. Changes alone in oh, and salinity will take them down.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity is too low for linkia as should be a minimum of 1.023-1.024 and temperature somewhat important. This is not a star for a beginner or in a tank that's not stable and should not be in a tank that contains snails, or certain hermit crabs. Changes alone in oh, and salinity will take them down.
I'd say that two nems in a tank that age is really rolling the dice as well...

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This.

Is there a reason why the salinity is so low? PH also isn't the thing to chase, did you mean alkalinity? If you are adding a "ph buffer", most of those raise alkalinity. If you aren't checking alk, you are probably spiking it since it either needs to be consumed by uptake from corals and such or lowered through water changes.

Lastly, as @livinlifeinBKK pointed out , your tank may be too "immature" for starfish, let alone anemones. I'd suggest stabilizing, get fish to survive then worry about inverts in the future.

ianw163

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also probably something wrong with the water quality. What is your water temperature?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I would really focus on the anemones and closely watch their health for now. The reason it's recommend to wait 6 months or so before adding one is due to their symbiotic relationship with certain strains of bacteria which aren't always found in new tanks but show up as the tank mature (if I'm remembering correctly). I'm unsure about the research backing this or if it's something learned by hobbyists over decades of effort but I'd watch them to make sure they remain healthy in such a new tank regardless.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back