OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the double star is likely going to be just as difficult as the Linckias (as biofilm eaters, they have a similar diet), and sand sifters are known for depleting the fauna in the sand bed then starving. Honestly, at this point the only tropical true starfish that seem to do really well in our tanks are Aquilonastra species (known in the hobby as Asterina starfish, though Asterina is actually a different genus in the same family as Aquilonastra, and Asterina stars are typically predatory). Beyond that, the next best thing we have are the non-green brittle/serpent stars.
Could you elaborate on the sand sifters and the fauna?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate on the sand sifters and the fauna?
Yeah: most people toss the sand sifters into their tank believing that the star will feed on things like pods, worms, and detritus in the sand bed. I have no idea if they really do eat those things or not, but the general consensus is that once they've eaten the food available in the sand bed, they starve over the next few months (and this has been known to happen even in some large tanks).

For a much longer explanation, see the quotes below.
I'd try something like clam, oyster, etc. and/or snail meat (you can find various frozen/live marine snails to try online, including conch meat, periwinkle snails, babylonian snails, etc.)

The quote below is specifically geared toward Astropecten spp. (predatory) sand sifting stars, but there is another genus of sand sifting stars called Archaster that is thought (importantly the diet was inferred, not studied in the research that this diet was pulled from) to be detritivorous (specifically, they are thought to be microphagous detritivores). I have heard but cannot confirm that Archaster spp. misidentified as Astropecten spp. may be more common in the hobby than actual Astropecten spp. are.

So, with this in mind:
- If your star is detritivorous (which may be a very big if), then you would likely want smaller foods than the suggested below (which is designed for predatory sand sifters). In this case, I'd suggest trying to mix something like TDO Chroma Boost into the sand for your stars to find.
- If your star is predatory (which may to our limited knowledge be possible at this point even if it is an Archaster sp.), then the below advice (and my advice above) is more likely to be useful.
- If your star is actually primarily a biofilm eater like Linckia spp. Protoreaster nodosus, etc. (which may also to our limited knowledge be possible for an Archaster sp.), then it's likely to die regardless of what you do or don't feed it at this point.
I’ve heard they climb the glass when they’re looking for food and can’t find any in the sand bed.

Generally, people recommend large tanks and waiting until your tank is established before trying these (or pretty much any) sea stars, and the star survives on detritus in the tank. Unfortunately, even in a lot of these tanks, after they finish clearing the detritus from the sand, they typically starve.

My current advice to avoid the star staving - which may or may not help, I genuinely don't know at this point (it could take someone months to years of testing it to find out for certain, as sea stars can last months without food):
Target feed the star things like clam on half shell, oyster, mussel, scallop, etc. (bivalves); snail, whelk, conch, etc. (sea snail gastropods); and a good quality omnivore food (like LRS Reef Frenzy or Fertility Frenzy). These are - according to the best sources of information I can find - the sorts of foods sand sifting stars consume in the wild, and the star should swallow these foods whole if they aren't too big - you might need to experiment a bit with the size of the pieces offered to get it sized just right, but generally I'd say err on the smaller side.

If you decide to give it a shot, let me know how it goes, and keep me updated on the long term survival of the star!

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah: most people toss the sand sifters into their tank believing that the star will feed on things like pods, worms, and detritus in the sand bed. I have no idea if they really do eat those things or not, but the general consensus is that once they've eaten the food available in the sand bed, they starve over the next few months (and this has been known to happen even in some large tanks).

For a much longer explanation, see the quotes below.
Dang, great info! I'll talk to the other person about it and decide from there. Didn't realize stars were actually such a mystery and difficult!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, great info! I'll talk to the other person about it and decide from there. Didn't realize stars were actually such a mystery and difficult!
I would venture to say 80% of them die within a few months of being in someone’s tank

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would venture to say 80% of them die within a few months of being in someone’s tank
I mean I hate seeing it happen, but I dont feel as bad as I did before having two or three of the ones in the store die. Thought I was just screwing something up.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I hate seeing it happen, but I dont feel as bad as I did before having two or three of the ones in the store die. Thought I was just screwing something up.
Nope, not just you...they take a lot of care and attention to keep healthy and for them to live for any reasonable amount of time.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about seven starfish in 120 gallon tank that is made up of a 450 gallon system. They’ve been in there for about eight months and thriving although I did lose my blue Linke within the first month.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be the serpent stars are doing the best next to the brittle stars

Back