Starfish hitchhiker help

Danthefishman

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2024
Messages
96
Reaction score
30
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I found this little starfish on my frag plug. is it safe or not? Thank you.
20251124_142431.jpg
20251124_142252.jpg
 
Asterina starfish. Sometimes they multiply into a plague, othertimes they just survive eating algae, while some are reported to eat corals?
 
Aquilonastra sea star.
Aquilonastra starfish (known in the hobby as "Asterina") - some species are fine/helpful, others have been known (at least when in large numbers) to go after corals (almost always zoas).

As a general rule, if the top of the starfish is primarily black, or if it has red/orangish spots on it (like the star in the link below), then it may be harmful:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...g-some-zoanthids.1062019/page-3#post-12665293
 
Aquilonastra sea star.
Thank you. It's not black. and it doesn't have red or orange spots. It's a bluish color. Do you think this one's safe?
I have a bunch in my tank and personally I don’t remove them cause I’ve never seen them bother anything except zoas (which I don’t have) but your experience may be different.
 
I have a bunch in my tank and personally I don’t remove them cause I’ve never seen them bother anything except zoas (which I don’t have) but your experience may be different.
I do have 2 little zoa frags lol. I talked to the lfs I got the corals at and he said they're safe.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new