Starfish id?

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recently got this starfish, It was still in the bag. I might get it but want to make sure it’s ok, what kind is it?

C92E6695-D15A-4EA9-BC00-D81F724670DE.jpeg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just saw this and haven't done any research at all yet but off the top of my head if say a Linckia or species of Echinaster...here are a few Echinaster pics for very general comparison...does it have little spikes or is it smooth?
@livinlifeinBKK may be able to help you out :)
Screenshot_2022-09-03-06-50-40-584_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pic out of the bag? The black tips and slightly course skin are characteristic of Fromia indica but the arm width vs length don't look right for F. Indica. It looks like a challenging species to keep (some say all true starfish are impossible to keep long term though which I disagree with) so don't expect it to be easy if you do get it...ask how long they've had it for. I've seen some Linckia species for example start to disintegrate and die firsthand within days of being in the LFS so if they literally JUST received it, I'd steer clear at least until it's been there a week or so to make sure it can even handle that transition. Btw, you're building an interesting collection after just purchasing that NPS the other day!

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Species level is always pretty challenging with a lot of marine species...I agree some species of Echinaster most likely
Yeah - I'm guessing E. luzonicus because it typically has six arms, they sometimes have the off-color tips (black seems to be the most common different color), and it seems to have a bunch of raised bumps. It's definitely possible it's a different species, it just seems the most likely to me from I can see. Here are some photos to compare against:
1662164198318.png
1662164221571.png
1662164248972.png
1662164293408.png
1662164515534.png
1662164602600.png

Photos taken from these sites (in order):

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pic out of the bag? The black tips and slightly course skin are characteristic of Fromia indica but the arm width vs length don't look right for F. Indica. It looks like a challenging species to keep (some say all true starfish are impossible to keep long term though which I disagree with) so don't expect it to be easy if you do get it...ask how long they've had it for. I've seen some Linckia species for example start to disintegrate and die firsthand within days of being in the LFS so if they literally JUST received it, I'd steer clear at least until it's been there a week or so to make sure it can even handle that transition. Btw, you're building an interesting collection after just purchasing that NPS the other day!
Sorry, I didn’t See your thread. But yeah, I got it and they’ve had it for 3 weeks now. Turns out being a red linckia, acclimated for 3 1/2 hours, doing awesome as of now. Always hangs out on rocks/ glass.

and for the nps, it’s awesome. I’m still getting used to it and it’s still getting used to my tank. Tomorrow I’ll include an updated picture of my tank. It’s come a long way

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, for my nps, I’ll feed it every night time. When lights go out for about 2 hours I’ll give it some frozen food. Nothing crazy yet, I’ve seen the polyps come out sometimes but not like they should

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back