Starfish leg regeneration rate?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading a post about harlequin shrimp, and realized: starfish regenerate from cut off limbs! My god! You could feasibly just buy a set number of starfish, and then lop off a limb every x amount of days to feed your harlequins! So...does anybody have a metric for how long it takes a starfish to regenerate a lost leg or 4? Please provide tank temp, star species, and length of time it took to regenerate the lost appendage(s)!

Edit: also please provide how many harlequins you're feeding!

Example: I feed X harlequin shrimp with one limb every Y days, and it takes Z months for Examplus examplus starfish to regenerate a limb, but A months for B, or C legs.

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to tag Peta on R2R?

Lol interesting question, following

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pair and that was the plan however they go through all of them before I even noticed anything grow back and it was hard to do now they just get a full star plus one leg only held one of them over for a day or two. Another thing is they hunt in pairs if they are paired up if not and the same sex the larger one will steal food from the smaller one. My larger pair will sometimes ‘rob’ my smaller pair

Last edited:
OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to tag Peta on R2R?

Lol interesting question, following

I wouldn't be surprised? But also PETA tends to go after the "cute and fuzzies." After all, we raise brine shrimp and copepods to feed to our fish. I see this as no more unethical than raising tuna/food fish species, since you have to feed tuna smaller fish. But it is important to keep ethics in mind about this!

I have two pair and that was the plan however they go through all of them before I even noticed anything grow back and it was hard to do now they just get a full star plus one leg only held one of them over for a day or two

So it takes 4 harlequins (2 pairs) 1-2 days to get through 6 legs + an oral disk?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be surprised? But also PETA tends to go after the "cute and fuzzies." After all, we raise brine shrimp and copepods to feed to our fish. I see this as no more unethical than raising tuna/food fish species, since you have to feed tuna smaller fish. But it is important to keep ethics in mind about this!

So it takes 4 harlequins (2 pairs) 1-2 days to get through 6 legs + an oral disk?

I was joking and totally agree that Peta and people in general only care about cute and fuzzy creatures. Although I disagree that raising fish for food is the same as disfiguring a starfish a little bit at a time.
But I digress, actually I wouldn't be against doing the same thing.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am sorry should have clarified. When I first got them they were very small so was just giving them a leg. My largest female is now over two inches. I now give each pair one whole star every week or every other week but more closer to weekly. Definitely would not recommend them to just anyone. I am an extreme case. I keep 10-15 stars in my sump at any given time. One of my pair is breeding and I am trying to raise the larvae. National Geographic will be filming my shrimp to document molting mating and breading behavior

D9EFB9A3-14C8-463E-A1B2-C9261D9956DB.jpeg 6379F14F-A23F-4797-90C1-3DF3AA06EF9C.jpeg E6E8F52F-AEEA-4598-9214-DB7D7F53DC56.jpeg 65FE0379-D6DB-448F-8988-06301616E15A.jpeg

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back