Starfish supplement feeding

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting experiences. Mine has ignored supplemental feeding in all the forms previously described. Over a year later he still scours the sand and moves around all day. The difference between special grade and Fiji pink is astounding. Gobies, star, and conch are more active than ever.
Interested to know what sand area and depth?

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to know what sand area and depth?

I've seen him in every corner of the tank, but he spends more of his time in the deeper sides which happen to be at the end opposite the return.

As for depth, the sand bed is about 0.5" to ~2.5". The deeper sand bed is where he spends a lot of his time.

Ever since I've moved him to the larger tank, he has remained almost exclusively on the sand bed.

When I first got him he was in an AIO 50 g tank. He would spend his time on the glass and even rock work. This could have also been a result of not enough food, though. I didn't come across warnings about how they can deplete sand of copepods, bacteria, and other stuff and how they can starve in an inadequate or unestablished tank until after I bought him and joined this forum I'm embarrassed to say. :oops:

SirenBethany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, starfish are scavengers/clean up. I recommend trying to feed it a few different foods to see what it will eat. Nori, pellets, small chunks of different raw shrimp/fish/inverts that are normally used to feed our tanks is a good place to start.

Check out this video:

Is this a dry pellet? Is it still alive?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back