Starki time out work for you?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever give a starki damsel a time out and have it work?

I got mine out of my DT last night, was actually pretty easy (not sure I'll have that kind of luck again...).

He's in the sump.

Put him back in a week?

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he his causing problems a "time out" is not going to help.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all else fails..... All drains lead to the ocean ! :p

Commode.jpg

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownfish_Boy yeah, but he's a pretty fish, well put together too. Would want to keep or rehome. Actually thinking about setting up a simple breeder with sponge filters and put a few torches in there...

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's he bullying ? I was thinking about getting one but all my other fish are 4 and 5 inches

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tautog83 I think a big factor is my tank size (small), but basically everything. Except my orange firefish, who he seems to be trying to get romantic with (it's bizarre). He also ignores the diamond back goby.

So:
Blue-Green Chromis (eventually I think he'll kill this)
Osc. Clown
Yellow Corris wrasse

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownfish_Boy yeah, but he's a pretty fish, well put together too. Would want to keep or rehome. Actually thinking about setting up a simple breeder with sponge filters and put a few torches in there...
Oh yeah, just having a bit of fun there..... Maybe you can either send it back to the LFS or find another aquarist who would like to have it. Sure is a beautiful fish indeed, a shame it's not working out in your tank !

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the starki recently added or long established? A time out can work to reset long established dominance but won't likely help if it was recently added because then there is no established dominance to correct.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore I believe you've likely hit the nail on the head, from what I've been able to research etc. And alas, he was deliberately added last.

I'm wondering if there is something I can do within the tank to help protect the Chromis (love that fish), because the others are ok so far- they get picked on but it's not excessive and the clown just pushes back, eg.

The Chromis and the Starki worked out caves, so I don't see how I can do anything, unless the Starki resents his cave being so close to the Chromis- unlikely- because the Chromis get's harassed under all manner of circumstances. They are similar size and shape and water position and species, so I think that's the rub, especially in the small space. I did fear this.

My LFS will take the starki back for 40%, which isn't worth it versus keeping him in some way, especially since I admire the fish as much as I do ("Sven"- because of his swedish colors, so his full name is "Sven The Dick").

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back