Starphire Glass Has a haze (pictures included)

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like i am gonna have to make the worst most expensive QT tank :eek:

20170413_015229.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you or can you measure for any stray voltage in the tank?

Nah, how would this stray voltage be caused? Bad main lines or electrical wiring?
My other tank I used to feel a current when I put my hand in the sump, probably caused by exposed wiring. This tank all electrical is located in a box outside of the tank.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I ask is because annealed glass is softer than tempered glass, low iron glass (starfire) is softer than standard glass. You can have annealed or tempered for either. For softest to hardest would be; annealed low iron, annealed standard, tempered low iron, then tempered standard being hardest.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I recently ordered a tank with 3 panels of low iron glass...

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 of the Terms & Conditions on the contract:

______ is not responsible for any imperfections of materials including bubbles, minor scratches and stress marks that are caused by the manufacturing process of said materials that may appear before and after aquarium is functional per American society for testing and material (ASTM) standard. low-iron and tempered glass are more susceptible to imperfections.

Go figure!

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in brighter news my tank is finally mature and stable enough to grow Acros and montis, I purchased a pack from a hobbyist few weeks ago and stuck with them now!. Hopefully I can see them in the tank ;Facepalm

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 viewing panels that are foggy are Low-iron glass. I imagined they are Tempered and the back panel (which is drilled) is non-tempered. However, no mention of it on the receipt.
Tempered glass costs more than annealed. Tempering is a process that has to be done after the panels are cut to size and/or drilled. The manufacturer will know if the panels are tempered. If you don't want to ask then you can find out for yourself my using a pair of polarized sunglasses.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 of the Terms & Conditions on the contract:

______ is not responsible for any imperfections of materials including bubbles, minor scratches and stress marks that are caused by the manufacturing process of said materials that may appear before and after aquarium is functional per American society for testing and material (ASTM) standard. low-iron and tempered glass are more susceptible to imperfections.

Go figure!

Yea go figure... That sucks but I guess expected. And they aren't really to blame either. Just would be nice if it was a warranty issue.

From what I've read about low iron glass so far is that if it's used for say shower doors and panels they usually put a coating on it to help prevent things like this happening due to reaction with water and chemicals. Most probably non coated glass is used for aquariums.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite familiar with this particular tank manufacturer, and know a few people that own one, including low iron panels that are fine. Build quality, fit and finish is superb. I'd call them and have a chat. Perhaps there's an accommodation to be had.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month or so - I thought it was glue or some sort of residue left over from the build that they didn’t clean so took my Mag Float to it nothing, tried a razor blade nothing, it was then I realized that the haze was actually in between the lanes of glass and there was nothing I could do about it

Anyhow they did the whole tank over no questions asked, they said they’ve seen it before

Sorry, your tank is double glazed? Never heard of a tank built like that.

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is the cause but... I have 2 tanks, one glass (regular not low iron) and one acrylic. I used Magic Eraser for about 4 months because it was a miraculous cleaner for the algae. It was great on the glass but I think it made my acrylic start to get cloudy - or hazy. I can't be sure and no one else noticed it but I think it was changing the inside surface of my acrylic tank. Since Starfire or low iron is so much softer that regular glass, maybe the Magic Eraser has the same effect on it as on my acrylic tank. Anyone else have this experience?

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And BTW, I had a company come out and buff out the scratches in one of my acrylic tanks. My tank was empty at the time but they mentioned that they can also do the work in a stocked reef tank. It doesn't have to be empty. If it is something like the Magic Eraser causing the problem, you might be able to get your tank buffed out. In my 100 gallon empty tank it cost me $300 for front and two side panels inside and outside. I'm near L.A. you might find it cheaper in other areas. Hopefully an option.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, this is complete different but thanks for your post. Magic erraser was used after the haze started for a few minutes and generally I have only seen glass become scratch from sand being stuck in a mag cleaner. Benefits of acrylic is you can buff out scratches and imperfections so nice to know you have the option of doing that every few years if needed.

The only thing I can do right now is dim my whites so more blue color shows (which I dislike), however I cant notice the haze as much with blue lighting so this is my only solution right now to look at my reef!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back