Starphire Glass Has a haze (pictures included)

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is deposits from using Lanthanum chloride in the tank. I tried vinegar to clean a skimmer cup with lanthanum deposits. No success.
I dont think it is possible to remove that with vinegar. Maybe with a weak sodumhydroxide solution but i dont know the risk of that etching the glass.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I've had standard tanks for 20 years. However, its those bracings I don't trust so went custom for this one being my first sps dominant tank wanted something I can do 40-70X turnover for 10+ years. If I could go back knowing what I know now I would have done standard glass. This haze may only be because of the starphire glass
in the picture of the empty tank you posted the bracings are not correct anyway. They are all flush. For maximum strength the bracings on the back and front should go full lenght , as they do , but then the side bracings should run the full lenght of the sides and overlap the front and back bracings , which locks everything together .
Looks like all thats holding the sides to the fronts is silicone,

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the picture of the empty tank you posted the bracings are not correct anyway. They are all flush. For maximum strength the bracings on the back and front should go full lenght , as they do , but then the side bracings should run the full lenght of the sides and overlap the front and back bracings , which locks everything together .

I' have never seen a eurobraced tank braced as you mentioned and even without the bracing the tank could hold as rimless so not worried about that! Please share a picture of the brace you mentioned.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your speaking on this makers build "prime aquarium"?

Marine-Tank.jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my original pictures where pretty hazy! I just took these shots few minutes ago so you can see its difficult to see haze from eye level.

1210171411b.jpg
1210171411a.jpg

below picture ( the line you see is from the back panel)

1210171412.jpg
So you can't see it at eye level, and the pictures look pretty clear. You have to sit in on the floor looking up at the glass to see any distortion and you are unhappy with the tank.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think you can say that something is not correct just because there are ways to do it even stronger. And there are design and visual considerations too, and you can counter a somewhat weaker solution in one area by upping the dimensions in others. You have to judge something by looking at the whole picture and the whole solution not just one detail.

And yes, everything that holds a glass tank together IS silicone.

Just my 2 cents :)

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can't see it at eye level, and the pictures look pretty clear. You have to sit in on the floor looking up at the glass to see any distortion and you are unhappy with the tank.

If I had payed top dollar for something that should be EXTRA clear and after a short while found out that it's actually the opposite, I would be unhappy too. And you know how it is, once you've discovered that little flaw it's going to be the only thing you see even if no one else does...

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had payed top dollar for something that should be EXTRA clear and after a short while found out that it's actually the opposite, I would be unhappy too. And you know how it is, once you've discovered that little flaw it's going to be the only thing you see even if no one else does...
You can find fault with anything. If all you look for is faults, you are never going to be happy with anything you buy.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find fault with anything. If all you look for is faults, you are never going to be happy with anything you buy.

Of course. But in this case I feel like it's like you've bought a 4k TV but all it can produce is 1080p. And 1080p is just fine but it's not what you bought and not what you were expecting.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can't see it at eye level, and the pictures look pretty clear. You have to sit in on the floor looking up at the glass to see any distortion and you are unhappy with the tank.[/QUOTE

No, its visible just not as much. Think about when you see streaks on your glass its tough to see it unless your looking straight up, Its still there ruining your viewing panel. This is covering the entire panel just more so in certain spots.

I am just starting to look at older pictures and seeing that the haze was probably there from the start. The below picture is from around June.
20170629_221514.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find fault with anything. If all you look for is faults, you are never going to be happy with anything you buy.[/QUOTE

There is a difference between a fault and a defect. I have 10 years old glass cups that are clear and if they where to haze I bet I'd replace them. this is a tank that has Low iron glass that is progressively getting worst! big difference

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ashish
I talked with Gaston the owner of Tank Me in Florida. He says he has never had a problem with any of his low iron glass tanks. mostly he builds large tanks but he is doing a 90 for me. I talked to one of his customers that has had his tank for 2 years low iron on 3 sides 300 gallon has had no problems with clarity. How think is your glass?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ashish
I talked with Gaston the owner of Tank Me in Florida. He says he has never had a problem with any of his low iron glass tanks. mostly he builds large tanks but he is doing a 90 for me. I talked to one of his customers that has had his tank for 2 years low iron on 3 sides 300 gallon has had no problems with clarity. How think is your glass?[/QUOTE

Man I wish someone could diagnoise this. I am still hoping its a surface stain that can be removed. My glass is 1/2"

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reply to @stevieduk post about the bracing style......
FWIW, I have a 135g LeeMar Euro-braced tank and the only difference between the bracing of AP's bracing and mine are that his sit atop the panes of glass whereas mine are on the insides making them flush with the top of the glass panes or panels if you will. I actually prefer the way that AP's manufacturer does it. AP...What are the dimensions and gallons of tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reply to @stevieduk post about the bracing style......
FWIW, I have a 135g LeeMar Euro-braced tank and the only difference between the bracing of AP's bracing and mine are that his sit atop the panes of glass whereas mine are on the insides making them flush with the top of the glass panes or panels if you will. I actually prefer the way that AP's manufacturer does it. AP...What are the dimensions and gallons of tank?

Hey... Eurobraced tank seem so solid and there are many ways to do it.
My tanks dimensions are

42"x26"×25"

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is deposits from using Lanthanum chloride in the tank. I tried vinegar to clean a skimmer cup with lanthanum deposits. No success.
I dont think it is possible to remove that with vinegar. Maybe with a weak sodumhydroxide solution but i dont know the risk of that etching the glass.

You used Lantanum chloride that effect your entire tank or just certain areas? I've not used this product knowingly perhaps it comes in on MG?

How old is your tank and when did it start?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a thought.

The return is fed via a seaswirl and its hitting both of the 2 haze panels. Haze is not visible from the under the water line so that could be a sign that its calcium carbonate hard water stains?
Another thing I suspect is that there are 2 lines forming on the glass (if you look carefully on the below picture). this is around where the 2 vortechs pumps path! Also, the doser is dosing close to the return pump!!!

1208171906.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back