Starry Blenny chasing mandarin

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ther called mandarin* gobys I have one. The blenny is still a cousin of the goby.. they are genetically related scientifically speaking.
They both stem from the same genius. Have just evolved differently due to environment.
Thus making blenny more or less a sub category of goby.
[/MEDIA]
Dragonets are not at all closely related to gobies. The word is "genus," and in this case, dragonets are not only in a separate genus, they are in a separate Family and Order from any blennies or gobies. For example, a yellow tang and a channel catfish are in different orders within ray-finned fishes...so pretty far apart.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonets are not at all closely related to gobies. The word is "genus," and in this case, dragonets are not only in a separate genus, they are in a separate Family and Order from any blennies or gobies. For example, a yellow tang and a channel catfish are in different orders within ray-finned fishes...so pretty far apart.
Yup. The commonality is just that they’re both scavengers/detritivores. I think the Blenny just sees the mandarin as a food source competitor.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. The commonality is just that they’re both scavengers/detritivores. I think the Blenny just sees the mandarin as a food source competitor.
Yes, I agree with that.

The whole blenny/goby thing can be really confusing. And there are species that have common names that make it even more confusing. I try my best to help people keep the information straight. A lot of times it makes a difference in requirements and care, like with dragonets or engineer "gobies" or dartfish, for example.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back