Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Diver's Den has a male right now: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/534203/starry-blenny

1606782834616.png

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
One of the coolest discussions of starry blennies! I'm glad I found this thread!

Maxout

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In what size tank ? Any aggression ?
I quarantined the first pair in a 10 gallon and then moved them to a 20 tall. The female was a little aggressive towards the male at first but by now they sit together.
Right now I have 2 males in one 10 gallon QT and 2 females in another. Even same sex individuals seem to get along reasonably well, or at least they don't beat each other to a pulp.

BRS
Avast

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a pair of Salarias ramosus that spawn regularly in my display tank. They lay in a 1” PVC tube with a 45° elbow on one side and a 90° elbow on the other. Their clutches are huge, upwards of a few thousand. I feed LRS reef frenzy, a DIY soft pellet food, and live copepods 5x daily. Just this week I moved the pipe with eggs into a separate tank and nearly all of the eggs hatched. There were thousands of seemingly healthy fry swimming around. I offered L-strain rotifers but they didn’t seem to eat them. They made it to day 3 before dying off.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with rearing this fish or it’s counterparts. I assume it would be similar to Salarias fasciatus. I can’t find any conclusive information on the larval cycle or feeding of this species, most threads come to an end after a few failed attempts.
Have you considered reaching out to Biota and Ora to see if they can give you and tips?

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
This is great reading, I'm hoping to see a brood of youngsters in a few weeks. I'm also amazed that they haven't been tank bred before now. I wish you both the best of luck in trying to get them raised up to they are eating and swimming around post a week old.

AS
Reef Breeders