Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diver's Den has a male right now: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/534203/starry-blenny

1606782834616.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the coolest discussions of starry blennies! I'm glad I found this thread!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what size tank ? Any aggression ?
I quarantined the first pair in a 10 gallon and then moved them to a 20 tall. The female was a little aggressive towards the male at first but by now they sit together.
Right now I have 2 males in one 10 gallon QT and 2 females in another. Even same sex individuals seem to get along reasonably well, or at least they don't beat each other to a pulp.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the divers den pair you posted? I went looking to get the male about 20 mins after your post and he was gone.
No, at that time I already had found enough locally. Also, i would have rather needed the female.

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe smaller rots like the s type and Parvocalanus and Tonga pods? Have not tried to raise fish. Following along

DB5E1D65-DFC9-411B-BEC5-692721DE6B44.png DB0FDEFA-F737-43C1-88E3-35FAEE8A4B98.png
Where do you get these from? I see the reefnutrition.com but I lokked on that site and did not see big bags like these?

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Salarias ramosus that spawn regularly in my display tank. They lay in a 1” PVC tube with a 45° elbow on one side and a 90° elbow on the other. Their clutches are huge, upwards of a few thousand. I feed LRS reef frenzy, a DIY soft pellet food, and live copepods 5x daily. Just this week I moved the pipe with eggs into a separate tank and nearly all of the eggs hatched. There were thousands of seemingly healthy fry swimming around. I offered L-strain rotifers but they didn’t seem to eat them. They made it to day 3 before dying off.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with rearing this fish or it’s counterparts. I assume it would be similar to Salarias fasciatus. I can’t find any conclusive information on the larval cycle or feeding of this species, most threads come to an end after a few failed attempts.
Have you considered reaching out to Biota and Ora to see if they can give you and tips?

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great reading, I'm hoping to see a brood of youngsters in a few weeks. I'm also amazed that they haven't been tank bred before now. I wish you both the best of luck in trying to get them raised up to they are eating and swimming around post a week old.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back