Starry Blenny stuck in overflow!!

Mau1J1m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't even understand how he pulled it off, but somehow my starry blenny has managed to jump the weir on my overflow (despite the screen lid sitting nearly right on top of it) and has now squeezed himself into the maybe 1/8-1/4 inch gap.... any ideas on how to get him to come back out? I know he's not wedged in to the point where he can't move, because when I first caught him there he squirmed himself even deeper down in :expressionless-face:
uhoh.jpg

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow is a bit different, but once I've had to add a valve to the drain, below tank, close valve until water is above wier(almost to top of glass) and remove pipes to allow fish to swim back out.. it worked very quickly. You probably don't need to mess with the pipes if it's in the gap. Slow the drain, he will swim out when the level is high enough. Just don't overflow the tank!!

OP
OP
Mau1J1m

Mau1J1m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow is a bit different, but once I've had to add a valve to the drain, below tank, close valve until water is above wier(almost to top of glass) and remove pipes to allow fish to swim back out.. it worked very quickly. You probably don't need to mess with the pipes if it's in the gap. Slow the drain, he will swim out when the level is high enough. Just don't overflow the tank!!
PXL_20230809_224326871.MP.jpg

Yeah, that was the first thing I did to try to give him a chance to free himself. Already riding the razors edge of water height, but he doesn't seem to be too willing to take the ticket to freedom:grinning-face-with-sweat:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep water at high level turn off lights ,watch so it don't jump out.
ridged airline tubing heat and mold in " L - U " shape slide in under ,gently help it up n out.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A different time, with a smaller fish, I stopped return pump, diverted drain pipe to a bucket then pulled the pipe and it sucked him out with the water that stays in overflow after shutdown. Does that plastic part come out? Drain pipes go out the bottom?
I would try to chase him out with the tubing first though- good idea

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230810_002500374.MP.jpg

He's a very unhappy dude about the whole ordeal, but he's out! After about an hour of letting the tank sit super flooded, he finally hopped from the ultra-narrow slot to the main chunk of the overflow, where I was able to scoop him with a net!
Hooray!!!

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230810_002500374.MP.jpg

He's a very unhappy dude about the whole ordeal, but he's out! After about an hour of letting the tank sit super flooded, he finally hopped from the ultra-narrow slot to the main chunk of the overflow, where I was able to scoop him with a net!
I feel like salarias blennies always look unhappy
IMG_2267.jpeg

This is Jombo Spice

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back