Starting 20gallon long reef tank

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up cheap tank and stand its a 20 gallon long wich looks so cool, its like a mini big tank!

I haven't got much for it yet, i have a tidal35 hob, XP Aqua Duetto Dual Sensor ATO, and the inkbird temp control non wifi just to get it started I know I will do something different for filtration eventually, but the ball is rolling and I'm painting the back for now...

im absolutely open for any tips and pointers or things others did i should do, please if anyone has any advice on nanos I appreciate it!

I just want another tank to fiddle with but in a different room. Lol

1626469887111496645416601914352.jpg

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to do coral? What lights are you thinking of? I had a 20 long that i made a custom aio insert for filtration and equipment

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely doing coral, (easy pretty stuff, or pretty easy stuff) I have a 120 that is my main tank in the other room for coral. this tank is in the front room just to watch during commercials, lol.

But maybe a clowns and anemones tank I've never had either one yet. Im not set on the way the tank is going yet. I know not the best way to do it but....

im getting a single AI prime 16hd with the tank mount to start with (i might add a second 1 down the road) I haven't used this light before but seems like a no brainer, it looks awesome!

I really need to find a small heater or one that looks good, I just purchased a Nero3, its coming today so I will see if water movement is enough. I will move more rock into it soon, from my main tank.

Any advice is very welcome, please even if you think its minor pls bring it up so we can all learn, plus nano do's and don'ts, thanks r2r!

Attachments

• 16265335300625266049907831522949.jpg
    16265335300625266049907831522949.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 18

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take things slow I started the hobby 7mos ago also with a 20g long and jumped into things way too fast. I had a ton of different problems starting out that I could of avoided if I was just patient. I finally tuned everything the way I want and things are looking great now. I don't have a sump or refugium and I don't dose just water changes. To me that was the easier way. Lmk if you need any help or have questions. I have a AI prime 16 a heater, a DC powerhead and a HOB filter.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone suggest a good SMALL heater that I can hide or that looks good in a small tank?
Just take things slow I started the hobby 7mos ago also with a 20g long and jumped into things way too fast. I had a ton of different problems starting out that I could of avoided if I was just patient. I finally tuned everything the way I want and things are looking great now. I don't have a sump or refugium and I don't dose just water changes. To me that was the easier way. Lmk if you need any help or have questions. I have a AI prime 16 a heater, a DC powerhead and a HOB filter.

Dang thats so nice, I turned my audio up and just watched and chilled, it really does take 5min to almost view everything you have in there! That thing is packed and doing awesome with just water changes! They must be on a tight schedule.

What is your salt mix and parameters?

Do you have an ato?

How is the prime and hight? I was a little worried the prime arm at 11" might not be enough hight.

Thanks again and awesome tank many praises on that beauty!

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone suggest a good SMALL heater that I can hide or that looks good in a small tank?

Dang thats so nice, I turned my audio up and just watched and chilled, it really does take 5min to almost view everything you have in there! That thing is packed and doing awesome with just water changes! They must be on a tight schedule.

What is your salt mix and parameters?

Do you have an ato?

How is the prime and hight? I was a little worried the prime arm at 11" might not be enough hight.

Thanks again and awesome tank many praises on that beauty!
Thank you so much!

I use red sea coral pro mix it in a 5g bucket mixed to 1.025
Ph 8.1
Dkh 10.5
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1450
Nitrate 10
Ph 0.02
Temp 78

I like the ai prime but I'm actually about to buy the hydra 32 because my tank is so packed with corals and there's some shading on the outer edges of the tank. And I don't have a ATO I usually top off with 1.5cups of RODI water and pour it right on top of my powerhead.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back