Starting 55 gal predator tank

hayala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Starting a 55 gal predator tank with a large refugium, to help with waste. I already have a blue spotted puffer that I am transferring from another tank. I want to get a snowflake eel, dwarf lion, & a frog fish. I also have a hawk fish that I am thinking of transferring as well. I pretty sure all of these fish should be ok together based on what I have researched, but would love input. Also open to other cool predatory fish ideas. I know my options are limited based on my tank size. Thanks :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool tank, just a couple of quick thoughts. Make sure you size the hawkfish large enough not to be eaten by the lion or angler. A wartskin angler(the others will get too large) that needs to be smaller than everyone else, they will eat fish as large as themselves and attempt even larger. A little apprehension about the puffer, because they are notorious nippers, the anglers lure will likely be chomped and maybe even nipping at the body, as well as nipping at the lion. A small scorpuon fish would well in such a tank also. Just my predjudice, I don't include this type of puffer with any lions or anglers because of their nippiness.

OP
OP
H

hayala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool tank, just a couple of quick thoughts. Make sure you size the hawkfish large enough not to be eaten by the lion or angler. A wartskin angler(the others will get too large) that needs to be smaller than everyone else, they will eat fish as large as themselves and attempt even larger. A little apprehension about the puffer, because they are notorious nippers, the anglers lure will likely be chomped and maybe even nipping at the body, as well as nipping at the lion. A small scorpuon fish would well in such a tank also. Just my predjudice, I don't include this type of puffer with any lions or anglers because of their nippiness.

Thanks for for the input. I was looking at scorpion fish as well. I see what you’re saying about the frog fish lure. My puffer is in a community fish tank now. He can be a bit nippy, but does not seem to bother other fish. However, I want to move him because he killed many of my inverts, which my last puffer was peaceful with (I knew the risk but took a gamble). Funny thing, he doesn’t mess with my anemones or cleaner shrimp. I would really like to have a lion, maybe I could put the lion & scorpion in first & then introduce the puffer. If I see problems I can move him back to the other tank.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.4%
Back