Starting a new build...

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting back into the hobby and because I sold off all my equipment I have to start afresh! That could be a good thing! It gives me the opportunity to do certain things differently.
I'm setting up a 75 gallon reef ready tank. Last time I used the Aqueon Proflex 3 sump and it was a good sump.
I want to have a refugium this time and the Aqueon will allow that. But, I would like to put it out there and get some input from fellow reefers on sumps, suggestions, advise, tips!
Thanks!!

iron_mike_gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a stocking plan in mind? LPS/SPS/Mix?

General guidance - draw out your plumbing and plan in several unions and ball valves so you have adjustable return flow through the valves, and options to disassemble or expand portions of your plumbing without having to cut a whole bunch out.

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! There are some great premade options out there from Bashee, Geo’s Reef and Trigger systems. You can also look custom from Companies like Advanced Acrylic or the silicon in baffle kits that fit a 40g. Breeder or 75g (pics are of my 75 sump kit). GL!!
9d774ef89d0c33d7984af8f8ef8d627c.jpg
b13d1c976e30932e7dffa2c00e27c202.jpg
b20111e147ef883e5e1acfda3e923d39.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the thinking, got rid of my old stuff so good news is I get to buy new.

I have a Bashee signature 36. Thing is built like a tank, but no refuge section. Jersaint above is really nice. The Geo’s I think are super nice but sort of expensive, but you get a lot for the money.

I would figure out first what your goals are you want the sump to do. Then decide if form or function is more important or both. I ran an old version Eshopps r300 9 years. No problems, fit my needs and was good price.

Like buying a car, I say first get options you want. V6, v8, turbo. Then choose the cars that fit and then price out the ones that you like. Some sumps can have a Ferrari engine and look like a Gremlin on the outside.lots of choices

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd like to journal this tank build here. This is Tank #2. Tank #1 was shut down and sold August 2018. It didn't take long to realize how much I missed the salt water hobby.( do I need a therapist?!!!)
So, here we go! The custom cabinet for my 75 gallon display tank looks gorgeous and worth every penny. That was one of the changes I wanted to make for this build. No center stile so I can remove the sump to clean every year or two. Mission accomplished on this one.

Now I have dry live rock curing down in the basement as I write this post. Looking at 4 weeks to complete.

As I wait I have to decide on a new sump and I've boiled it down to a Bashsea Signature Series Model SS-30 or a Trigger. Having a fuge is a must.
I'm taking my time on this build. I've learned a lot with the first tank build and I know what I want and don't want this time!
Thanks for reading!
1013752-7e7b84c89f1d7ad98476128dfd7b53f2.jpg

IMG_5089.JPG

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not from Connecticut so you now have a Floridian following along.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to see your back!
What are you doing for a skimmer and lights?
Are you going to do sps only this time?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to see your back!
What are you doing for a skimmer and lights?
Are you going to do sps only this time?
I haven't decided on which brand of skimmer but Reef Octopus will be one brand I seriously consider.
As for the lights....I'll be looking for input on that one!
SPS only? No! But I want this tank to be sps dominate. Last set up was all lps and that went good. Time to crank up the challenge!

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5101.JPG
Stained the cabinet today. I think it came out ok! Now waiting for my new sump to arrive Friday. I decided to go with a Trigger 34. I believe this one will serve my needs. I am getting anxious to see water in the tank but patience must prevail!! Take it easy I tell myself....Rome wasn't built in a day!!(haha!)Progress is being made.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest addition. I believe I will probably put it inside a cabinet. The fewer wires that show makes the wife happy!;)
IMG_5104.JPG

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next addition:Trigger 34 sump.
Moving right along! I’m gonna have some fun with this thing!
I plan to have a refugium this time. Didn’t have one in my last set up.
Is it true that you should wait a bit until after the tank is up and running before setting up the refugium?

F38C1527-997A-424D-9C12-E4AA785DC7B4.jpeg

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Thanks for taking the time to do a build thread. I love learning from these.

Your cabinet looks great. You said you stained it. Did you build it as well?

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Thanks for taking the time to do a build thread. I love learning from these.

Your cabinet looks great. You said you stained it. Did you build it as well?
I wish I could take the credit for building the cabinet but I can’t!
I had it built by a local cabinet maker. It is solid!

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived in your area, I would definitely give him a call. I noticed you chose the Trigger systems sump. With the skimmer in there is there enough room to get the socks out to clean, and replace media.

Look forward to updates on progression of your build.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I lived in your area, I would definitely give him a call. I noticed you chose the Trigger systems sump. With the skimmer in there is there enough room to get the socks out to clean, and replace media.

Look forward to updates on progression of your build.
You know, after reading your post I had to go over to the sump and "pretend" I had a skimmer in that sump and see how it would be to remove/replace the socks! It's doable but there's not a lot of "extra" room down there. I'll have to wait and see. Hmmmm!

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All systems go!!! All rock work and sand in. Finished putting the water in today, turned on the return pump and bam! :) NO LEAKS!
I'm doing a fish less cycle with Dr. Tim's products. Started that tonight. So, the cycle has begun!
Pics to follow, been at this all day! I'm pooped but at the same time I'm excited to be back in the hobby. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back