OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not especially happy with the rock work...the creative juices were not flowing!! It’s ok. I’ll like it better when covered with coral! 47DCA80A-23F4-424F-BC3B-A9D677F85F6A.jpeg 242E15EE-DB4F-4773-94FC-DBCD0298D168.jpeg

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FF614378-C0A4-4BC7-B2E9-473C15A12262.jpeg Now, what to do with this mess! I’m having trouble finding a suitable cabinet. Any suggestions?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making some progress!
New light delivered and hung this morning! It’s an AquaticLife 48” DX18 Dimmable Hybrid T5HO, 4 bulb.
I choose 2 Aqua Blue Special bulbs and 2 Blue Plus bulbs.
Now after I get that second job I’ll be purchasing 2 Radions to sit on top of this fixture and have the best of ALL worlds!
Getting there!

CF2330D9-9259-4860-9AFD-530F7061DA16.jpeg

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bill.
I, too, am starting fresh with a similar tank (72 bowfront). And I, too, sold off a lot of my stuff so need to purchase a few new things for this build, so I am following along since you are a few weeks ahead of me. My tank and stand are in the house now but the huge sump I dug out of the basement is in the yard soaking in vinegar and being leak-tested. A bunch of old rock has been bleached, rinsed, and is now basking in the sun waiting for me to aquascape.

I don't see that you ever received an answer as to whether or not you're supposed to let the tank run for a while without a sump? I wouldn't think so, but now am curious. And why is there a fish in the tank - weren't you going to do a fishless cycle? I'm asking because I haven't decided how to cycle yet. Right now we're changing out all the filters in the RO/DI system and will then start filling the tank and cycling.

Glad to be following you and learning from your mistakes, but I'm sure you won't make any. :) Also curious how you clean up the cord mess because I'm already stressing about that with my build.... I plan on having a lot more equipment than I do in my other tanks because it's going to be a seahorse tank and they are very particular in their needs.
Sue

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sue, glad to see you're getting back into the hobby! It is addicting!
Um, earlier in this thread when I had the tank up and cycled(it is cycled, that's why you see a fish in there, I did do a fish less cycle. I personally would not use a fish to cycle my tank)I had a question about when is a good time to start a refugium. I had watched some video on YouTube(don't recall who posted it)and it suggested to wait a bit with a new start up before starting a refugium. I did start one anyway, put the Kessil H380 on it and a week later, bam...I have a full blown bacterial bloom in full force!! I'm not saying that's what started it. New tank, heavy feeder(me!)lot's of light over the tank and a strong grow light in the sump area(Kessil H380)using Phytoplankton all may have contributed to this bacterial bloom.
I went out this afternoon and purchased a UV sterilizer and got it going. Results pending.
I was planning on installing a UV sterilizer anyway so this gave me the push to do it.
Anyway, stay tuned! Hopefully in a few days I will report good results.
As for the cord mess, quick fix for now. I put a small cabinet in front of all the wires! Can't see them unless you look over the cabinet! Winter project!!

Last edited:

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sue, glad to see you're getting back into the hobby! It is addicting!
Um, earlier in this thread when I had the tank up and cycled(it is cycled, that's why you see a fish in there, I did do a fish less cycle. I personally would not use a fish to cycle my tank)I had a question about when is a good time to start a refugium. I had watched some video on YouTube(don't recall who posted it)and it suggested to wait a bit with a new start up before starting a refugium. I did start one anyway, put the Kessil H380 on it and a week later, bam...I have a full blown bacterial bloom in full force!! I'm not saying that's what started it. New tank, heavy feeder(me!)lot's of light over the tank and a strong grow light in the sump area(Kessil H380)using Phytoplankton all may have contributed to this bacterial bloom.
I went out this afternoon and purchased a UV sterilizer and got it going. Results pending.
I was planning on installing a UV sterilizer anyway so this gave me the push to do it.
Anyway, stay tuned! Hopefully in a few days I will report good results.
As for the cord mess, quick fix for now. I put a small cabinet in front of all the wires! Can't see them unless you look over the cabinet! Winter project!!

OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the bloom is temporary and easily removed.

I never really left the hobby - but I had 5 tanks up and running at one time (while working full time and doing dog rescue) so I started painfully tearing them down to reduce my workload. I was down to 2 tanks (92 gallon corner with corals and fish and a 5 gallon with dwarf seahorses) and then decided I really miss my full-sized seahorses. I brought all my fish and most of my corals to my LFS for store credit, sold the 92 gallon tank, and bought a 72 bowfront. It will be just for seahorses, compatible fish, and non-stinging corals.

As I was digging through the tons of stuff I have in my basement I found two different UV sterilizers, neither of which I purchased or had ever used. When I buy used tanks from people, they are usually so eager to get rid of all their stuff, they start throwing all kinds of free stuff at me, so apparently I've acquired two UV's. I have no idea if they are functional or if I can even get bulbs for them anymore.... that's a project for the future.

I love the idea of hiding the mess behind a cabinet! LOL If you can't beat them, fool them! LOL
Sue

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Watched.
Just curious as to why you’re so set on having a Refugium on this tank. Were there problems in your previous that you think a Fuge would solve?

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Watched.
Just curious as to why you’re so set on having a Refugium on this tank. Were there problems in your previous that you think a Fuge would solve?
On my previous set up I used GFO to control phosphates and No3PO4-X to control Nitrates. I want to see if a healthy fuge can control phosphates and nitrates. I'm hoping to not have to use NO3PO4-X and GFO.

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s impressive. Could you show how you plumber in your UV? & which one you bought?
So, I ran to Petco because I knew they had some. Desperate to clean this mess up I purchased a AA 24 W Green Killing Machine sterilizer. I must admit I didn’t expect much but I was amazed when I woke up this morning and saw the results. It is a simple sterilizer. Basically you just set it in your display tank or the sump. I have it in my display for now. Will move to sump later. Two pics I took, not really good.

AB44BDC1-D6D5-433C-A7CF-D949427D20C9.jpeg 5DB573D9-C797-4428-AC3B-AA6633626DA2.jpeg

OP
OP
chevy4w

chevy4w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bob.
Very nice! I really like that stand you had built. What are your plans for coral and fish in it?
Hi Bob, thanks!
As for fish, anything that will stay on the small side. I like tangs but have to be careful with them, they will get big!
I will be having a mixed reef with the tilt on sps.

rtn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a large refugium and no skimmer on my 180G mixed reef. I'm a chaeto growing machine (if anyone needs chaeto, I can bring it to the next CTARS meeting!) I've had no issues with water parameters in a year. *knocks on wood*

I really find it interesting that people can have great success with completely different setups.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back