Starting a new reef tank

JamesZ.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm new here to Reef2Reef but I have some experience with saltwater tanks. A few years ago I had a 50gal acrylic Clear for Life drilled with a sump/chiller and old school tube lighting.
I looking to get back into the hobby with another 40-50 gal tank and I'm stuck deciding on a SCA 50 or RedSea Reefer 200XL ??
Anyone have some experience with these tanks and or have an opinion of which is the better way to go ?
I've read that SCA's system is complete, but the plumbing is crappy, skimmer is crap.
Reefer 200xl plumbing is complete, but cost $800-$900 more and you still need return pump and skimmer, if you can find one (backordered).

Am I better off waiting for the Red Sea system? Please post and ideas, experience you may have, or maybe another tank company I don't know of.

Thanks

Casper12065

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally wait for the Red Sea. SCA tanks are nice, but I think Red Sea is better quality. It's something you'll be keeping for years hopefully, so worth the additional investment if financially feasible.

OP
OP
J

JamesZ.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my purchase today. Went with the Red Sea 170 with the white cabinet $1250.00. For a return pump I bought the Impulse 600 $97. For water movement I bought a Vortech MP10 $299. have to research a skimmer, tho the store recommended the Aqua Vitro Division 125. For a light, they recommend 1 ReefLED 90. If anyone has any recommendations on a skimmer or light for this setup please let me know

Back