Starting a new tank. A Few Questions

flyinbryan4295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I'm not completely new to reef tanks, but I'm starting a new tank using an unfamiliar method and I have a few questions to ask.

Some background on my plans.
Its going to be a 90g with a 29g as a sump.
I'm planning on using the Triton Method because my work schedule can be unpredictable and I'd like to simplify things for the wife when I'm away. I'm also in an apartment and space for water storage is pretty limited.
Most of the information I've read about the Triton Method starts with an established aquarium. The things I've read about using it on a new tank seem to suggest that I hold off on dosing until after I start to add corals/coralline algae appears. Is this correct?

I'm also wondering when I should start the refugium. While I plan to have the sump plumbed and running right from the start I've seen some posts suggesting I not add macro to the fuge until I start to see algae growth or nutrients in testing. Is this correct?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on the refugium. If you add before your nutrient levels are high enough, your cheato/macros will simply die off.

I don't want to get into the pros/cons of triton as a methodology vs. other methodologies, but if you're main goal is to simplify your reef for your wife, are you sure triton is the best means of doing so? Just make sure you think through all the worst case scenarios and points of failure and ensure they can be remedied by your wife if you're not there :)

OP
OP
F

flyinbryan4295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue for the wife is doing regular water changes. She's able to do them if needed. I would just prefer to not make her do them if I get called away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back